Mortgage deal ending

So a base rate of 0.1% generated a 10 year fix of 2%. If that is correct there was really only 1 way for rates to go. Short of rates being either negative or zero, there was no further downside to be had on mortgage rates and so a 10 year fix at that time would have been a no-brainer. I get portability and conditions attached can be a limiting factor though.
When we moved in Aug 2021 it was 1.95 for a 10yr fix from Barclays. As you say it was an absolute no brainer, at the time the mortgage advisor couldnt understand why we didnt want the much cheaper 2yr fix and to use our savings to bring down the cost. Best decision ive made in a long time was to go for the 10yrs, which also nicely aligns to my retirement plans.

So a base rate of 0.1% generated a 10 year fix of 2%. If that is correct there was really only 1 way for rates to go. Short of rates being either negative or zero, there was no further downside to be had on mortgage rates and so a 10 year fix at that time would have been a no-brainer. I get portability and conditions attached can be a limiting factor though.
The best deals were October 2021 and they didn't last long. Natwest were doing a 5 year for 0.94%.

After 5 years compared to 2% (paying the same each month) you would be £5k better off for every £100k borrowed. Then for the next 5 years from October 2026 you would need a 3.5% deal to be marginally better of over the ten years. A bit less to account for fees.

It all depends what it is like in 2026, and looks much better decision doing a ten year looking back given what we know today.

The best deals were October 2021 and they didn't last long. Natwest were doing a 5 year for 0.94%.

After 5 years compared to 2% (paying the same each month) you would be £5k better off for every £100k borrowed. Then for the next 5 years from October 2026 you would need a 3.5% deal to be marginally better of over the ten years. A bit less to account for fees.

It all depends what it is like in 2026, and looks much better decision doing a ten year looking back given what we know today.

what would you do if you had to choose in todays market ?

2 year 5.8%

5 year 6%

10 year 4.6%

what would you do if you had to choose in todays market ?

2 year 5.8%

5 year 6%

10 year 4.6%
In my current circumstances a 2 year variable, if I owed a lot more, and I can't get as low as 4.6%, but I would go with the First Direct 10 year fixed due to early repayment fees if needed. Others are 5% in the first 5 years and one 7% for the first 2.

The 10 fixed are only a fraction under 5% that I am offered.

really tempted to go with a 10 year fix for 4.7%

rahhhhh ! if only we could predict the future.

Just to add a little bit of perspective to this. In 2017 we bought our first house. I am a self-employed contractor and it was a ballache to get the mortgage so we went with the 5yr fixed at 4.19%. Cheapest on the market at the time with our LTV. At the time that was considered extremely low according to mortgage advisor and rates only expected to go up. Maybe that’s why these rates i see today don’t scare me as much as others.

really tempted to go with a 10 year fix for 4.7%

rahhhhh ! if only we could predict the future.
Im no expert but I would jump all over that. Mortgage rates were always about that and that is realistic to what everyone paid, especially the demographic here probably.
They wont drop mate, they will rise, and settle around what they used to be circa late 4s-early 5s.
Post 2008 rates were mentally low and thats 15 yrs ago now, to fix a big drama.
not being political now, or seeking to inflame those of a contrary view, but the UK had inflicted a wound on itself that will mean our economy is fucked for about 20 years realistically before any plan can be made to fix the shit we put ourselves in by Brexit.
Jump all over that rate. 10yrs flies, and instability will only get worse with this shit, there was no plan with it, just an internal tory party row we all have to deal with that was jumped over by cunts who dont have mortgages or bills anyway who came out of Wetherspoons to vote on it.
Take the rate is my advice

Im no expert but I would jump all over that. Mortgage rates were always about that and that is realistic to what everyone paid, especially the demographic here probably.
They wont drop mate, they will rise, and settle around what they used to be circa late 4s-early 5s.
Post 2008 rates were mentally low and thats 15 yrs ago now, to fix a big drama.
not being political now, or seeking to inflame those of a contrary view, but the UK had inflicted a wound on itself that will mean our economy is fucked for about 20 years realistically before any plan can be made to fix the shit we put ourselves in by Brexit.
Jump all over that rate. 10yrs flies, and instability will only get worse with this shit, there was no plan with it, just an internal tory party row we all have to deal with that was jumped over by cunts who dont have mortgages or bills anyway who came out of Wetherspoons to vote on it.
Take the rate is my advice

Thanks for advice , I was feeling more drawn to that out the options, plus it only adds on £200 to my mortgage compared with £400/500 on the other options .
So even if interest rates did drop big in 4-5 years time I’ve saved a lot anyway.
Cheers again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.