Moss Side's Finest indeed

I’m not employed by the club but I’d be happy to check features, articles and any other history for them. I do get asked to check some stuff from time to time but definitely not always and certainly not this piece unfortunately.
Why on earth do they not retain you as official historian? You know more about the ins and outs of City than anyone. If they understood fandom at all they would jump at the chance but they have a cultural blind spot.
#Garyjamesforhistoriancampaign.

MCMWS Page caught up with former Blues player Clive Wilson during lockdown 2020 for Q&A on his City memories which also included a section of ex-team mates and supporters questions.

1. Born in Manchester what are your earliest football playing memories as a child ?
Earliest memories were of my dad buying footballs for myself and my two brothers. He even bought them in size according to age and we played in what was Ducie High school’s sports field (a cinder field with a long jump pit). After that I played street football (lampposts and chalk on the walls for goalposts) and park football where we lived in Rusholme. It was competitive and games would last for hours

2. Which team did a young Clive Wilson support and what players did you pretend to be growing up?
Don’t say this too loudly but I supported Liverpool growing up. The first game I remember was the 1971 cup final Arsenal/Liverpool and enjoyed watching Steve Heighway on the wing. After that I became a big fan of Glenn Hoddle and Liam Brady and tried to model my game on those two, particularly Brady, being left footed.

3. During your early teens you were spotted by the Crystal Palace youth feeder team based in Wythenshawe, how close were you to moving to London and joining the Eagles?
I started playing for Eagles when I was around 11/12 and while we were supposed to be Crystal Palace’s feeder team in the north, no players from that team ever went for trials or had the opportunity to join Palace so I was never close to moving to London back then. The main connection was the relationship between the then Palace manager, Malcolm Allison and the Eagles manager, Ted Davies

4. How did the move to City’s youth set-up happen?
I took an unconventional route to football, back then the process was you got picked up by a club at 14, spent two years training on a Tuesday and Thursday night, played in the A or B teams on a Saturday morning and at 16 the club made the decision whether to give you a two year apprenticeship or not. I left school at 16 and went to Openshaw Technical College to study Electric and Electronic Engineering. By now I had left Eagles and I was playing for Moss Side Youth Club. In the second year of college I was spotted by a scout from Sheffield Wednesday while playing on Hough End. He said he would arrange a trial for me at Sheffield Wednesday. While waiting for that to happen a scout from City (Len Davies – no relation to Ted) saw me and said as I live so close to Maine Rd (a stone’s throw away) come for a trial and if it doesn’t work out I would still have the Wednesday trial to go to. I went, trained on Tuesday and Thursday and the rest is history. In a twist of irony, the manager who gave me my first professional contract was…………. Malcolm Allison

5. After joining City you played in two successful FA Youth Cup teams, reaching the finals in both 79 & 80 but unfortunately missing out to Millwall and Villa, the likes of Nicky Reid, Andy May, Tommy Caton, Steve Kinsey and Alex Williams all went on to play for the first team, was there any players that surprised you didn’t make the grade from those sides?
Not quite right about the 2 FA youth cups, I only played in the year when we lost to Villa. That team had a lot of players who I thought should have made careers from football. We had two strikers Ged Elliott and Gareth Bees who I thought would have good careers away from City. Gareth, I think was at Swansea for a while and I don’t know where Ged ended up. It was a great testimony to the City scouting system and the youth coaching staff that a number of that team went on to make a living from the game.

6. What early advice given to you during those youth team years at City stuck with you the most throughout your career?
‘give your all and try your best, you never know who is watching”

7. Can you remember your first team debut and how you found out you’d be part of the squad?
Yes, I think I made my debut at left back in a midweek league cup game versus Wolves at Maine Rd. I had an idea I might be playing but when this is your first game you take nothing for granted. It wasn’t until the team was named (by John Bond), then it dawned upon me that I would be starting my first game. I was so nervous

8. Who was the best player you’d played with at City?
I didn’t get the chance to play in the first team with this player but Trevor Francis was a player I greatly admired when he was at the club

9. Who were the standout characters you remember the most at City and why?
There were a few characters in my time at City. When I was on the fringes of the team there was Tommy Hutchinson, Bobby Macdonald, Gerry Gow. You didn’t want to upset them, in particular Tommy, his tongue was vicious. Later on it was Mick McCarthy, John Gidman and Tony Grealish. All were great professionals but you knew where you stood with them. They pulled no punches.

10. Which one person was the biggest influence on your career at City and football in general?
My biggest influence has to be Gerry Francis, he gave me a better understanding of the game and improved my positional sense. He could assess where and how the opposition were causing problems and try to stop it.
At City it would be Jimmy Frizzell as he realised the potential I had and encouraged me to fulfil it

11. You were really finding form during the 84-85 campaign when your season was ended early after injury in February due to an ankle problem, what can you recall about that injury and the sustained absence from the team?
I remember it well. We played Sheffield United on the Saturday and I got caught on the side of my thigh by Glyn Hodges studs, breaking the skin. The wound was covered up and the team were going for a mid season game in Malaysia the next day. Once there I asked the club doctor if I should keep it covered and he said “no let the air get to it” so I removed the dressing. I think we were there for about four days, we played a game and I had no issues with the cut. When we came back to England after a few days my ankle began to swell, didn’t think too much of it and reported it to the physio. He felt it, it was hot and put ice on it and I thought I might miss the next game, which I did. It didn’t respond to treatment and the swelling wasn’t going down. My foot was then put into a shoe to stop me putting weight onto it. Still no improvement. Eventually it was decided that I should go into hospital and the fluid in the ankle would be drained to see what it was. Unfortunately, nothing was found and it remains a mystery as to what caused the swelling. I missed the rest of the season which was a big disappointment as I was beginning to establish myself in the team and we were looking good for promotion.

12. What are your memories of the May 1985 victory over Charlton to clinch Promotion despite not playing that day?
This was a bitter sweet experience for me. While it was a great day for the club and the players involved it’s something as a player you want to be involved with. Similar to winning a cup final but not playing. I recall sitting on the bench that day and wishing I was out there on the pitch enjoying the atmosphere and adulation from the crowd, but what a day!

13. In the five seasons you appeared in the first team you played under a number of City managers, who would say you had the best relationship with and the one that was not so good?
We were changing managers with great regularity back then. In the 8 years I was there we got through 5 managers. I probably had the best relationship with Jimmy Frizzell and the worst with John Bond.

14. Back in the side for the 85/86 season sees you score a goal that’s still fondly talked about by blues today, Boxing Day 1985, a header in a rare win over Liverpool, what are your memories of that goal and game?
What I do recall about that game was very few touches of the ball and running around trying to get the ball of a very good Liverpool team. I don’t remember who crossed the ball or how the ball arrived to me but I managed to get my head on it and I think it went in through Bruce Grobbelaar’s legs. A rare win against Liverpool but a satisfying one

15. Seven goals during the 85/86 season but which would recall as your favourite City goal and why?
I didn’t know ‘d scored that many goals but I don’t really have a favourite goal particularly of that season but two goals stand out for me for my time at City. The first goal for the club at Cardiff and the equaliser against Manchester United to snatch a 2-2 draw.

16. What was Mick McCarthy like as a team-mate – Honest opinions only please ?
I enjoyed playing alongside Mick. He was a great professional and captain. What you see is what you get with him. He wasn’t afraid to say what he felt and to hell with whose feelings he might hurt. While that might sound harsh it was the way he worked. He would also be quick to give you support whenever you needed it on or off the field. He knew what had got him this far in his career and just played to what he was good at.

17. When did you first hear of a move away from Maine Road becoming a possibility and had this been in your thoughts during the 86-87 season or before?
A move away from Maine Rd at that time was the last thing on my mind. Only six weeks previous I had signed a new contract tying me to the club for another two years. I was called into the office by Jimmy Frizzell not knowing what to expect and what he said was a big surprise. He said ‘Chelsea have made an offer for you which we can’t turn down’ I didn’t know what to say never having been transferred before. I couldn’t call my agent (they didn’t exist then) so I spoke to Neil McNab, and he advised me on what to do (and he didn’t get paid). I met with John Hollins and Ken Bates and agreed terms. (should have asked for much more if I had known the prices of property down south). It was agreed that I would stay with City until the end of the season. We were in a relegation fight.

18. 9th May 1987, Upton Park, sees you make your final City appearance before heading to Chelsea, what are the memories of that day?
I know we lost 2-0 (I looked it up) but I really don’t remember too much about that game. It’s a blank in my mind. My time at City was over and I was hoping to save the club from relegation before departing for Chelsea but it wasn’t to be. I know it was an empty feeling leaving the ground and heading back to Manchester.

19. How does Clive Wilson reflect on his time at City and the relationship you had with the supporters then and now?
My time at City was certainly enjoyable. How many players grow up a stones throw from the ground and go on to play for that team? I consider myself fortunate. During my time at City we yo-yoed between the first and second division not really establishing ourselves but played decent football and entertained. The crowd were always supportive of local lads. I felt I had a good relationship with the supporters then and still do now (whenever someone recognises me, some have long memories). I have been to a number of games at Wembley, dragged along by my season ticket holding brother and usually bump into fans from the Maine Rd era. It’s an interesting chat to compare the expectations of fans today compared to 30+ years ago. Majority go to games knowing there’s a good chance of a win, back then they went in hope. As a Mancunian, City always has a place in my heart

20. Was there ever the chance to re-join City during your career?
Yes, in 1995. I was out of contract at QPR and was available on a free transfer (benefitting from a contract ruling which I don’t think exists today. If you had been at a club for five years and passed your 33rd birthday you were entitled to a free transfer). I spoke with Jimmy Frizzell, who was working behind the scenes and told him I was speaking to Spurs and if they could better the deal I had on the table then I would come. After some toing and froing they came back with an offer but wouldn’t match the Spurs offer so I stayed put in London. This sounds a bit mercenary but it would be a last payday before retiring and I would be joining (at the time) the biggest club of my career at 33. Too good an opportunity to turn down. I hope all the ardent blues will understand

21. How do you rate this current City team and City as a club of 2020?
The City of 2020 is a galaxy away from the City I left back in 1987. They are now a global brand, having arguably the best manager in the world with some of the best players in the world with riches beyond the wildest imagination of fans of a certain age. This current City side has played the best football seen in the Premier League for years. At times some of their play has been breathtaking. The way they get the ball back once it has been lost is a lesson for all teams to copy and requires high levels of fitness. I would go as far as saying that there a few teams I would pay money to see but City would be one. Pep has revolutionised the way teams play, prior to Pep coming the job of the goalkeeper was just to keep the ball out of the net and it still is, but now they are expected to do much more after Pep said he wanted more from his keeper. Now most, if not all teams have adopted the approach of playing out from the back with the keeper heavily involved.
To be truly considered as a great team they will have to win the holy grail of the Champions league, which they were on the way to achieving after the result in Madrid.

22. What’s Clive Wilson of 2020 up to these days?
I’m qualified as a PE teacher but currently working as a supply teacher at a school in Loughton, Essex.

Supporters Questions

1. Mike Mcfc Sheldon – What did it feel like to score against United in their own back-yard and a diving HEADER !!!
It was a great feeling to score that goal against Utd particularly after going 2 down in a game where we weren’t playing too badly. We were the not so noisy neighbours back then and it gave the supports something to hang on to. I had missed a good opportunity a few minutes earlier so was more than happy to make amends. It was a good result before heading off to Wembley.

2. Rick Taylor – Did you have a favourite opponent and also one you dreaded playing against ?
I didn’t have a favourite opponent, there were opponents who have good reputations but never seem to play that well against you. For me, it was Stuart Ripley, he was in the successful title winning Blackburn side but never seemed to play well against me.
On the other side there were a few players I can’t say I dreaded playing against but 3 that gave me problems for different reasons. Steve McManaman, Andrei Kanchelskis and Ray Parlour. McManaman was a conventional winger, he didn’t stay on the wing but drifted inside making it difficult to pick him up and cover the centre half. He was quick and tricky.
Kanchelskis was lightning fast with an eye for goal
Parlour while not blessed with the pace of the other two was a strong runner and never stop running putting you under pressure all the time

3. Antony Birds – Were there any other clubs looking to sign you in 1987 and was staying at City an option had we not been relegated?
I don’t know if there were any other teams looking to sign me in 1987 but staying at City wasn’t an option. I had already signed for Chelsea in the March of that year. One stipulation in the contract was I would stay at City for the rest of the season and join Chelsea in the summer

4. Ian Collings – Do you recall after the England v Spain match at Euro 1996 – You were spotted leaving an recognised by a fan(ME) and enjoyed a victories fan hug ?
Ian, my memory isn’t that good now (old age) to recall meeting you but I certainly remember attending that game. In fact, I attended all England’s Euro ‘96 games except for the semi-final. The game against Scotland still ranks as the best game I have attended for atmosphere.

5. Alistair Hay – How’s your brother Gus doing these days as I recall he was also a very decent player and massive Blue?
My brother is well and working at Manchester Grammar School as head of football, a job he really enjoys. He was a decent player and had a short professional football career at Crewe for a few years before returning to playing in the Northern Premier league. He will insist he was the better footballer and I just got lucky. Of course, I know different
Fortunately, he is still a big blue, a season ticket holder and thoroughly enjoying the football City are serving up. He’s become a little blasé, picking and choosing what Wembley games he will attend. I have to remind him of the days when a trip to Wembley for City was a rarity but this is what happens when you support a successful team Wembley becomes the norm.

6. Ian McMahon – How tiring was it playing at United on the Saturday and then traveling to play Chelsea at Wembley the following Sunday?
The United game was more tiring than I thought. I was on a high after scoring but when the game came on the Sunday I was heavy legged. The funny thing about that game was Jimmy Frizzell said I looked tired and told me go and play on the right wing for a rest. Well for the time I was on the wing I probably got more touches of the ball than I had in all the previous minutes. I found new energy from somewhere and we started to mount a comeback into the game but to no avail. As a consequence, I started the next few games on the right wing (maybe Frizzell was ahead of his time playing left footed players on the right?). I was back on the left pretty soon.

Team mates Questions
1. Gordon Davies – Why were you called ‘The Don’? - Well maybe just by me!!

I never knew why you called me “The Don”. Can you explain? I can only assume that because I was a local boy you thought I would have connections with the ‘Moss Side Mafia’ and were looking for protection while in the area. The only other conclusion I can come to is you somehow saw that I had a striking resemblance to this Don (picture attached).

2. Alex Williams – Who was one of your best friends at school? – If he does not say me then I will strangle him!!
For those that don’t know Alex and I went to the same school and we were good friends at school. I often used to visit his parents' house in Levenshulme, in particular to get the biscuits his dad used to bring home from Mcvities. Aside from being at the same school we have something else in common, we share the same birthday.
Unfortunately, we started to drift apart around the time Alex was awarded his (deserved) MBE. He’s now moving in higher circles and forgot the friends he used to have on the way up. People are always telling me what a nice bloke he is, I reserve judgement.

3. Kenny Clements - Kenny Clements !!

Afro, Tom Selleck moustache, artistic, full time practical joker

4. Jim Melrose – Clive had everything you needed, pace, athleticism, pick a pass and more importantly then could tackle. He was highly regarded by his peers, I think he should of went onto play for England and would be interested to hear his thoughts on that ?

Thanks for those compliments Jim. One of the disappointments in my career was that I never made it into an England squad. There was a time I felt my performances warranted a call up but it just never happened. I believe I came close when Graham Taylor was the manager. I have been asked this question numerous times and some thoughts were that I was too old (30+) and not playing for a ‘fashionable’ club (QPR). I don’t believe England managers would be that small minded. Similar to being young if you are good enough you are old enough.

Clive, It's been a pleasure talking to you and hearing your memories. Best wishes for the future.

Clive is one of a few City players who was wasted in that kick n rush era,who, in my opinion, could of played in a Pep team. His skill was outstanding and he was head and shoulders above every one in that department. And he had good pace and could put a great cross in. Always played with a smile. I remember being in the Kippax on either boxing day or new years day 1985 and he scored the lowest diving header I've ever seen to beat the mighty dippers. I was about 11 and couldn't quite believe we'd beaten the fuckers because it was the first time id ever heard of it,let alone witness it. I also remember people around me doing a mad dance singing Jive Jive Clive Clive which I thought was a bit bonkers(a prehistoric Yaya/Kolo song of you like) Top blue Clive.

Edit: I do remember listening to Piccadilly radio when we beat them on boxing day in 81..but that was it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.