Most amazing MCFC debut ever?

Barney Daniels in approx 1974/75 scored at least 2/maybe 3 against Leicester at home,pretty sure it was his debut.

Whilst 4 against Liverpool on your debut at 18 is good, in fact having typed that, how can I argue against it? I was going to say Trevor Francis but it pales into insigniificance against Pants.

You win Gary.

I can't really comment on Pants as it was a touch before my time but in my time I'd defiinately have to agree with the consensus on Francis. It wasn't just the goals and the result. It felt like the club had moved up a level. Of course, it turned out to be another false dawn but I still remember the excitement that signing generated. We had signed probably the best striker in the country. The announcement even made a "bong" on News at 10 and we were going places. Those two goals infront of all the City fans at Stoke just confirmed it. Or so it felt at the time.

On the opposite note. Pretty sure Micheal Brown got sent off on his debut at QPR. Can anyone recall that happening to any other City players?

Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James said:
100 years ago today (on 18/01/1913) Fred 'Pant' Howard (why we called him Pant has not been identified yet, but I'm working on it) scored 4 goals on his debut against Liverpool.

He was only 18 and brought into the side to rest another player. Pre-match the press thought this was not a good move and some suggested an easy Liverpool win. City won the match 4-1 with Howard scoring 3 in the opening 13 minutes.

I've posted the match report and other stuff on my facebook today: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4?ref=hl</a>

But this has set me off wondering... what's been the greatest debut for a City player (or any player for that matter)? Surely an 18 year old scoring 4 goals in a First Division game with Liverpool must rank as one of, if not the best, debut?

Anyone got any others they can think of? (don't even mention Ryan Giggs' debut - not a patch on our 'Pant' Howard!)

Ones that spring to mind for me:

Eyal Berkovic against Watford (I think) in Keegan's first game
Trevor Francis against Stoke got a hattrick
Ali Bernarbia (was it Brum?)
Gary Megson at Oldham scored his one and only City goal and was awful from that day onwards
Gio Kinkladze against Spurs. Can still remember saying "Oh God, this lad can play".
Sergio Aguero against Swansea - 2 goals and an assist

And Aguero was only on for about 15/20 mins!

kinky v spurs , 1st day of the season at Maine Road..what a debut..gave the ball away for the 1st time in the 86th minute. incredible range of passing,brilliant dribbling and cheeky back-heels and flicks.

sadly, no-one else was on his level.

my particular favourite was that lovely Autumn day when Trevor Francis put two past Stoke in an awesome attacking display

then singing who the fuck is Gary Birtles on the way out of the ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.