MOTD top 10 Premier League derbies, past and present

Neither have been big derbies in Premier League terms, have they?
Yes they are, Portsmouth vs Southampton is like a war on the south coast, turned up to 11 when Molten Candle face Harry Redknapp left Portsmouth to manage Southampton, then went back to Portsmouth

And Brighton vs Palace, Chelsea vs Fulham are ?

Chelsea vs Spurs, would have said Chelsea vs West Ham

Forest vs Leicester? Forest vs Derby is the East Midlands Derby,

Plus no Sheff Wednesday vs Sheff Utd

Then there is the Old Farm derby Norwich vs Ipswich

Yes they are, Portsmouth vs Southampton is like a war on the south coast, turned up to 11 when Molten Candle face Harry Redknapp left Portsmouth to manage Southampton, then went back to Portsmouth

How many south coast derbies have there been?

As I said in my reply above this, most derbies outside the very biggest don’t really register with most other fans around the country.

Aston Villa v Birmingham
Chelsea v Fulham
Brighton v Crystal Palace

Neither have these but they're listed nonetheless.

Number of meetings between the two in the Premier League:

Chelsea vs Fulham - 30
Villa vs Birmingham - 14
Brighton vs Crystal Palace - 10
---
Portsmouth vs Southampton - 4
Cardiff vs Swansea - 2

I live in Portsmouth, I know how much the two cities hate eachother, doesn't change the fact that a podcast about the Premier League is always going to ignore them when they've barely faced off in the Premier League.

Then there is the Old Farm derby Norwich vs Ipswich

The Sheffield teams have only faced off in the Premier League four times, the other three you suggested only four or six times, but realistically I wouldn't call any of them big rivalries.

Brighton vs Palace have only played ten times in the PL, and while that's not that much more than six I imagine the fact that it's still ongoing and will soon be twelve probably tipped it in its favour.

The North West Derby is a media confection, it made Liverpool look relevant when Slur Alex was hoovering up trophies, and it makes Utd look relevant now that we're hoovering them up.

Dipper and rag pundits feed the spluttering North West Derby flame because they lit it many moons ago, and they keep it going coz that's what they're paid to do, but City v Utd, City v Liverpool and City v Chelsea has the world watching.

As they say...

"Liverpool are unbeaten in seven Premier League meetings going back almost four years."

Not much of a derby is it?

Last edited:
The North west Derby is a media confection, it made Liverpool look relevant when Slur Alex was hoovering up trophies, and it makes Utd look relevant now that we're hoovering them up.

Dipper and rag pundits feed the spluttering North West Derby flame because they lit it many moons ago, and they keep it going coz that's what they're paid to do, but City v Utd, City v Liverpool and City v Chelsea has the world watching.

As they say...

"Liverpool are unbeaten in seven Premier League meetings going back almost four years."

Not much of a derby is it.
Wonder what the most competitive derby is in England these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.