motown fans

TangerineSteve17 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Never a mention of R Dean Taylor, the only white artist to record on Motown!

Really? that belongs in the fact thread if true.. fascinating.

In Detroit, Taylor was hired by Motown Records in 1964 as a songwriter and recording artist for the Motown subsidiary V.I.P. label. Taylor's scheduled first single (March 1964) for V.I.P. was the topical satire "My Ladybug (Stay Away From That Beatle)", but it was deemed too weak for release and was never issued.

It was not until November 1965 that Taylor's debut V.I.P. single, "Let's Go Somewhere", was issued. It was written by Taylor in conjunction with Brian Holland, and produced by the team of Holland and Lamont Dozier, who had already produced five No. 1 scoring songs for The Supremes. However, the song was only a regional success in several U.S. cities and Toronto.

Taylor's next single (1967's "There's A Ghost In My House") was written by the team of Holland–Dozier–Holland along with Taylor, and again produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier. It was also a commercial disappointment in the US—but later it was a #3 hit in the United Kingdom in 1974. Taylor was also beginning to become a songwriter for other acts, as "I'll Turn to Stone" by the Four Tops, and "All I Need" by The Temptations were both charting US singles in 1967, co-composed by him.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

In Detroit, Taylor was hired by Motown Records in 1964 as a songwriter and recording artist for the Motown subsidiary V.I.P. label. Taylor's scheduled first single (March 1964) for V.I.P. was the topical satire "My Ladybug (Stay Away From That Beatle)", but it was deemed too weak for release and was never issued.

It was not until November 1965 that Taylor's debut V.I.P. single, "Let's Go Somewhere", was issued. It was written by Taylor in conjunction with Brian Holland, and produced by the team of Holland and Lamont Dozier, who had already produced five No. 1 scoring songs for The Supremes. However, the song was only a regional success in several U.S. cities and Toronto.

Taylor's next single (1967's "There's A Ghost In My House") was written by the team of Holland–Dozier–Holland along with Taylor, and again produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier. It was also a commercial disappointment in the US—but later it was a #3 hit in the United Kingdom in 1974. Taylor was also beginning to become a songwriter for other acts, as "I'll Turn to Stone" by the Four Tops, and "All I Need" by The Temptations were both charting US singles in 1967, co-composed by him.

Gonna tell my dad that. He'll probably already know though the git

TangerineSteve17 said:
top 5 I'm going for Grapevine, My Girl, Broken hearted, Superstition, and This old heart of mine

my girl HAS to be in there. in honesty there are 100's that could be.

shop around
needle in a haystack.
third finger left hand (B side of jimmy mack.)

TangerineSteve17 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I think he was the first to record but seem to remember Charlene "I've never been to me" was white and on motown.

ready to stand corrected though.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I thought Kiki Dee had also been on the Motown label at some point ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.