Mount Everest deaths

Ranulph fiennes is an incredible person.
I didn’t know much of him till this episode of Top Gear (21:00) https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03rds7h/top-gear-series-4-episode-9
It was jaw dropping what he’s done (even back then).
Driving down the A6 like a twat!

Ranulph fiennes is an incredible person.
I didn’t know much of him till this episode of Top Gear (21:00) https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03rds7h/top-gear-series-4-episode-9
It was jaw dropping what he’s done (even back then).

He is. He is a tough nut (and a bit of a nutter), and an admirable guy. He had an SAS training, I think.
I don't actually really agree with him in his assessment of Scott. He's sort of taken it on himself to defend him vociferously. I have more time for Amundsen, who just got the job done, and above all, Shackleton, whose journey across the southern seas in an open boat to South Georgia (where he then had to trek across a minor mountain range with his companions, having done all that) is the great epic story of polar exploration, north or south, as far as I'm concerned. Just a personal opinion, and I'm no expert of any kind.
That said, it now seems clear from meteorological historians who know what they're talking about that Scott was incredibly unlucky, and ran into temperatures that there's just no accounting for on his way back across the ice shelf. I suspect his party's morale was at rock bottom, as well — understandably — and that definitely impacts people's physical endurance. Anyway…

If any of you are interested try and get hold of a copy of this book.
FourAgainstEverest.jpg
This review from Amazon sums it up perfectly, a really great read.

"Crazy Tufts professor (and grandson of Woodrow Wilson) and his pals attempt a stealth climb of Everest. For food they pack only meat cubes and bags of sugar. They bivouac in the open well above 20,000 feet and are lucky to have a still, warm night. They fall into crevasses and yet live. A very funny book and well worth finding a copy."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.