Mountain Bike Help

rickmcfc said:
Gaz76, i paid £799 for it from leasurelakes cycles in bury. Really good shop and customer service. This is the 2013 model. They have a huge sale of at the minute so get down there soonish. This is a 29" frame, if your happy riding a 26", where mine has red, they do it in blue and looks really nice, but I need the larger wheels so had to settle for the red.

£799 is the price everywhere, there was a place based in London which was £769, but it took 7 days to get here so I just paid the extra £30 and took it today. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Can anyone recommend somewhere fairly easy for me to go please?

Do you know who served you mate? I know a few of the lads that work there

Chungo said:
rickmcfc said:
Gaz76, i paid £799 for it from leasurelakes cycles in bury. Really good shop and customer service. This is the 2013 model. They have a huge sale of at the minute so get down there soonish. This is a 29" frame, if your happy riding a 26", where mine has red, they do it in blue and looks really nice, but I need the larger wheels so had to settle for the red.

£799 is the price everywhere, there was a place based in London which was £769, but it took 7 days to get here so I just paid the extra £30 and took it today. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Can anyone recommend somewhere fairly easy for me to go please?

Do you know who served you mate? I know a few of the lads that work there

Will served me the first time, then when I went back to confirm i wanted it, another lad sorted me out. Really good knowledgeable people. Right, off to sleep as I want to do a decent ride tomorrow!

If you don't mind travelling go to Gisburn Forest, we go a fair bit but makesure you go with someone who know ls the place or atleast get a map because it is a big place and you don't want to be halfway round with it getting dark or you will be there for the night, think its 14 miles but its got a good variety of sections so brilliant for training.

Well all that i have so far is a bike, a helmet, and a shed load of determination after spending a lot of money yesterday lol! My house is next to the canal, so I will start on there, and head down the canal towards my mums (2.5 miles away), i will stop for a break and a drink, then depending on how i feel, i will get back on the canal and head another 4 miles down the canal to my uncles house and again stop for a rest and drink. Again, depending on how I feel, I may keep on going and ride around Pennington Flash, which is a big country park with a lake. The good thing about this route is its flat all the way, good paths, and with places for me to stop if I get to tired etc. I've downloaded a bike recording app so I can watch my progress over the coming months which I think is essential really! I will report back later, whether that be 2 hours or 10!!! Can't wait to get out there, see you later!

Any news from rickmcfc yet? I'm assuming he's on the canal towpath about half a mile from home picking the glass out of his 3rd puncture, with dogshit up his back from having no mud guards. Should be back soon - piss wet through, blowing out his arse and throwing the bike in the shed until Jan 2014.

Hours mate if you're after plans to go your going to gave top take the bite worth you in Ted career if you want somewhere exciting.

Llandegla in north Wales is the best place I've been, closely followed by cannock Chase, then gisburn forest. All these are trail centres where the natural landscape has been altered to suit mtbs. They are good fun safe and ina controlled environment where if something happens someone will most likely find you very soon. They have way marked trails that you follow and lots of different technical features to test your skill. They also have a trail centre with facilities such as toilets, bike wash, cafes, repair shop etc at llandela and cannock.

The other option us to head to the lakes or peak district where you can find natural routes. These can be good too but it can be hard to find a route, it can be easy to get lost and if you find a remote track and fall off you might be in your own.

Also delamere forest is okay for a visit, particularly if you are a beginner to get used to riding off road. Its pretty tame and not as much fun as the others above but pretty local and decent for a quick blast.

Bojinov The Bull said:
rickmcfc said:
Im after a bit of help. I know nothing about mountain bikes, but i want to buy one and get into the sport. One of my best mates who is out in Australia until the end of March knows this market like the back of his hand, but i cant get in with him, so i need some help from Bluemooners!

Im looking to spend between £600-£900 for the bike, i dont want a cheap thing that will break after a few months. There are so many different types of bike with different set up's, i dont know what is best. Full suspension, or hard tail, what gears, brakes, tyres, shock's, seat, handle bars etc. There is a cycle shop in Bury, but i would rather just get some info and recommendations here first before going down. They have a sale on so thought now would be a good time to buy one, and start to get fit.

Here is the website if this helps. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/</a>

Cheers

Take a look at the Scott Scale 60, they are great hard tail bikes if you are mainly doing cross country or a mixture of riding styles. It's really light and has a very good reputation. It isn't worth buying a full sus bike in my opinion unless you have at least £1200 otherwise you'll get a cheap rubbish one.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6426/scott-scale-60-hardtail-mountain-bike-2012-sale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6426 ... -2012-sale</a>

I got the Scott 70 from there and it's a good strong bike. They also gave ne a good price for cash.
Make sure you get a bike that 'fits' you. The reach on mine was a bit long for me so they changed the handlebar stem (for nowt).

Another decent shop about 10mins drive from leisure lakes is Cooksons (just off J17 exit in Whitefield, where they knoe there stuff.
http://www.cooksoncycles.co.uk/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.