Movie Discussion Thread | Upcoming Releases etc..

Go on, like what?
A quick search shows the following posts.
Basic Attraction, in 1986

Happened to tune in to the most disgusting film I have ever seen the other day - on the Horror Channel, and it was called The Human Centipede.

An unhinged scientist drugs three or four victims (mostly young girls) and while they are unconscious creates a human "centipede" by stitching the mouth of one on to the anus of the one on front (they are kneeling) to try to create one digestive system so that when the front person defecates the unfortunate one behind has to swallow it. They can only move by shuffling along on their knees.

It doesn't end well. Did anyone else have the misfortune to see it? It wasn't scary, just revolting.

1. I watched (on TV) "The man Who Knew Infinity". Intelligent, moving, based on fact and a film for grown-ups, not adolescents. No violence or exploding cars, I'm afraid. "Bridge of Spies" was another film for grown-ups. There might be another one comes along in a year or two.

Henry V - so offensive to French people with all that racist Agincourt stuff. All those Brit war films - Germanophobic trash movies. And so on.......Lawrence of Arabia so anti-Turkish, like Gallipoli.

The wedding at the start is "boring"? It is one of cinema's great opening scenes. There some great films up for awards that year - Deliverance for one, and Cabaret for another. Joel Grey as the creepy MC in Cabaret - wonderful. Deserved his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

some of the films on here are just favourites and not "cult", which implies a small dedicated (and oddball) group who like them. My cult fave is Aguirre, the Wrath of God. (Not Aguero )

Yes, I've been tuning in to Talking Pictures for some time now. A lot of B-movies dross, but some gems. Almost a social history of Britain. I love the old character actors you saw in war films, and they always had Anton Diffring as a thin-lipped blue-eyed Nazi.Was anyone ever so type-cast?
And does no one else like "The Way to the Stars" as much as I do?

The Kubrick film referred to earlier was "Paths of Glory", released in 1958. It is the most stunning war film I have seen, and when it's over you feel so angry, which is just what the director wanted. Set in France in WW1, it exposes the hypocrisy, corruption and cruel snobbery of the military and, by extension, the establishment generally. It upset the mandarins so much that it was banned in France for many years.
One of Kirk Douglas's best films, too. It is in black and white, of course - all WW1 films HAVE to be in black & white.
If you have not seen it, do try, as it crops up on film channels from time to time. But don't expect a load of exploding shells. Another of my favourites is "O What a Lovely War".

Anyone else agree with me about "Paths of Glory"?

@Big Swifty a couple of good uns in your posts above btw. I wasn’t aware of the Kubrick WW1 film you’ve mentioned I’ll have to watch that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.