Mrs Vienna - Lesley Anne Berry - R. I. P

I don’t really know what I’m doing on here at this time, but I need somewhere to put down my feelings.

I’ve just lost my wonderful partner of 18 years, Lesley Anne Berry, or to all of you, Mrs Vienna.

She taught me so many things, including how to cook, and I learnt so much about the great Mercer-Allison team.

We visited all 48 of the continental United States, and she’d also done an Alaskan cruise, before we met.

She first went to watch City at the age of six, when her parents couldn’t find a babysitter. Her Mum had an appointment at the hairdresser,s, and her Dad wasn’t going to miss his regular trip to Maine Road, so her Mum said, "You’ll have to take her with you".

Her first trip abroad was to Vienna to witness the first European trophy for City. She hardly missed a game in those days, though her parents wouldn’t allow her to travel to away games.

Our first match together was the home fixture against West Ham on 23rd September 2006. Samaras scored both in a 2-0 win.

I first heard the news of Sheikh Mansour's takeover in a text to from her, which went something like this: "There are rumours that a rich Arab is buying City."

She’d lived with poor health for many years, but she was determined to get to as many games as possible. Her last visit to Etihad was for the victory over Ipswich. She loved Erling, so it is rather fitting that the last match she saw was one, which featured another hat-trick for him.

Rest In Peace, my daRling. I will never forget our wonderful time together.

XXX

As the birds sing and the Sun rises, she is with you.
As the children laugh and shout on their way to school, she is with you.
As the day's hustle and bustle consumes the air, she is with you.
As the crowd gathers in the place of love and joy, she is with you.
As the shouts of joy and laughter pass, she is with you.
As night settles and the world is at peace, she is with you always.

I am genuinely touched by all the sympathy and support I’ve received from my fellow Bluemooners. Your words have been very comforting.

My username is not only a tribute to the city and year that we won our first European trophy, but also to the fact that Lesley was there. She loved her time in Vienna, apart from the weather, during the game.

Her Dad ran three teams from the Old Cock pub in Stretford, though he was originally from Gorton. On one occasion, they reached a cup final; Lesley knew the players would be nervous beforehand, so she sewed up the sleeves of their shirts. By the time they’d worked out what had happened, all the tension was gone, and they won the game easily.

Her favourite player was Mike Summerbee. We had the pleasure of meeting him on two occasions. The first was when the Prestwich and Whitefield branch of the supporters club held an open meeting at Etihad. Mike had us in stitches with his tales of his time at City. After the meeting finished, Lesley went up to Mike, and said, "I wanted to marry you!" to which Mike replied, "No, you picked the right one". We also met Mike at a book signing with @Gary James. Luckily, there were no others waiting to have their book signed, and we were able to have a great chat with them.

We first met on the old BBC City page, where her username was Allison-Joanne, in honour of the management team. She told me that I was the first person to reply to her online.

She was determined that the two grandchildren would grow up as Blues, despite having a Liverpool fan as a dad. They both went to their first game at nine months. The grandson’s was the 1-0 win over Chelsea, in which Carlos Tévez ran half the length of the pitch to score. The granddaughter’s was the first game of the 2012/13 season; a 3-2 win against Southampton. The grandson was with us for the Agüeroooooooooo! game, though he was too young to remember it. He also went to Wembley for the FA Cup victory over Watford and the League Cup win against Arsenal. I will always treasure the memories of being with her at those games, as well as going to the stadium for the Brighton away match, when we clinched the title for Pep's second League title, again with our grandson. Being at Etihad, with her, for the final game of the 21/22 season against Villa will always hold great memories for me.

No, @jimharri, your memory does not deceive you. We did meet for a chat at Etihad, and vented our collective spleen on our shared hatred of dirty Leeds.

Outside football, she loved shopping and giving people presents. There was no greater pleasure in her life than hunting through the clearance items at JC Penney's or Walmart.

And, as I said to her children yesterday, it was rather fitting that she died on the anniversary of the attack on the twin towers, as she loved America and was never happier than when we were at the house she owned with her ex-husband in Florida.

I am genuinely touched by all the sympathy and support I’ve received from my fellow Bluemooners. Your words have been very comforting.

My username is not only a tribute to the city and year that we won our first European trophy, but also to the fact that Lesley was there. She loved her time in Vienna, apart from the weather, during the game.

Her Dad ran three teams from the Old Cock pub in Stretford, though he was originally from Gorton. On one occasion, they reached a cup final; Lesley knew the players would be nervous beforehand, so she sewed up the sleeves of their shirts. By the time they’d worked out what had happened, all the tension was gone, and they won the game easily.

Her favourite player was Mike Summerbee. We had the pleasure of meeting him on two occasions. The first was when the Prestwich and Whitefield branch of the supporters club held an open meeting at Etihad. Mike had us in stitches with his tales of his time at City. After the meeting finished, Lesley went up to Mike, and said, "I wanted to marry you!" to which Mike replied, "No, you picked the right one". We also met Mike at a book signing with @Gary James. Luckily, there were no others waiting to have their book signed, and we were able to have a great chat with them.

We first met on the old BBC City page, where her username was Allison-Joanne, in honour of the management team. She told me that I was the first person to reply to her online.

She was determined that the two grandchildren would grow up as Blues, despite having a Liverpool fan as a dad. They both went to their first game at nine months. The grandson’s was the 1-0 win over Chelsea, in which Carlos Tévez ran half the length of the pitch to score. The granddaughter’s was the first game of the 2012/13 season; a 3-2 win against Southampton. The grandson was with us for the Agüeroooooooooo! game, though he was too young to remember it. He also went to Wembley for the FA Cup victory over Watford and the League Cup win against Arsenal. I will always treasure the memories of being with her at those games, as well as going to the stadium for the Brighton away match, when we clinched the title for Pep's second League title, again with our grandson. Being at Etihad, with her, for the final game of the 21/22 season against Villa will always hold great memories for me.

No, @jimharri, your memory does not deceive you. We did meet for a chat at Etihad, and vented our collective spleen on our shared hatred of dirty Leeds.

Outside football, she loved shopping and giving people presents. There was no greater pleasure in her life than hunting through the clearance items at JC Penney's or Walmart.

And, as I said to her children yesterday, it was rather fitting that she died on the anniversary of the attack on the twin towers, as she loved America and was never happier than when we were at the house she owned with her ex-husband in Florida.
It sounded like Lesley (Anne?) had a great life V. And you can be proud that you were a major part of it. I can imagine the joy she felt witnessing this last decade or so, and to share that journey with you and with her children and grandchildren. Special memories for all of you. Hopefully, she's at peace now, smiling down on all of you.

Sleep well Lesley Anne.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.