MUFC Supporters Club Application Form

Going to send this on to my son who is a ManU fan - and lives in Holland!!!! (Though he is a Manchester lad born and bred, and his younger brother is a ManCity season ticket holder). We are rather a mixed up footie family Eldest lad and daughter - ManU, Second Son and his 3 kids and me - ManCity, my poor old late husband -Oldham Pathetic (he was from Middleton poor deluded soul).

Can someone please enlighten this poor old mum and tell me why ManU fans are called ragheads?

refmum said:
Going to send this on to my son who is a ManU fan - and lives in Holland!!!! (Though he is a Manchester lad born and bred, and his younger brother is a ManCity season ticket holder). We are rather a mixed up footie family Eldest lad and daughter - ManU, Second Son and his 3 kids and me - ManCity, my poor old late husband -Oldham Pathetic (he was from Middleton poor deluded soul).

Can someone please enlighten this poor old mum and tell me why ManU fans are called ragheads?

Just got this from Google.

"It appears the name was given to them by their own fans.

During the 1930-31 season, United were in a wretched state. The club teetered on the brink of bankruptcy and were attracting crowds of less than 4,000 for some games - despite still being in Division 1.

Harry Hughes, a City fan working in Trafford, tells this story:

“I worked in Trafford then, and all the locals were United fans. I was working nights and when Saturday morning arrived a couple of them asked ‘are you going to see the Rags today?’ I didn’t know what that meant, and then they explained that United fans had started to call the team the ‘Rags’ because they were so poor and that their kit looked liked rags. So after that I knew who they meant, but when I mentioned the Rags, they’d go, ‘who the Hell are you talking about?’ They didn’t like the opposition saying it.”

The poor level of support continued throughout the 1930s. When war broke out in 1939 an immediate ban was placed on the assembly of large crowds. The joke doing the rounds in Manchester was that United would have nothing to worry about.

There’s another great Rags story told by Howard Burr, secretary of the Reddish Blues. Full story here.

In 1968, Howard’s father was manager of the Umbro factory in Stockport. When United reached the European Cup final they put in a rushed order for the kit. The material his dad used had been lying about in the factory since the place was built and was full of dust and cobwebs.

In fact, some of the machinists were upset it was being used because they used to cut lengths off the roll to take home for dusters."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.