barm cake
noun
Northern English
• a soft, flattish bread roll.

Definition of muffin in English Dictionary
muffin
noun
• 1a small domed spongy cake made with eggs and baking powder:blueberry muffins
• 2 (North American English muffin) a flat circular spongy bread roll made from yeast dough and eaten split, toasted, and buttered.

A barm cake is a type of bun with flour on top. It has a characteristically strong flavour that comes from the traditional barm leaven made from a natural leaven with the addition of hops. However, the Barm Cake is more likely made from commercial yeast today.
The original barm cake is found in areas of Lancashire, North West England. In wider northern England, a similar bread roll would be known instead as a "breadbun", "breadcake", "bap", "cob" (a Midlands term), "teacake" (West Yorkshire/some parts of Cumbria; without currants or currant teacake with currants) or even (in the enlarged form of Tyneside) a "stotty".
Chips are a popular filling, sold in most fish and chip shops in the North West of England often called simply a 'chip barm'.

I see NO mention of MUFFIN in that explanation do you? ;-)

Eccles Blue said:
Definition of barm cake in English Dictionary
barm cake
noun
Northern English

muffin
noun
• 2 (North American English muffin) a flat circular spongy bread roll made from yeast dough and eaten split, toasted, and buttered.

A barm cake is a type of bun with flour on top. It has a characteristically strong flavour that comes from the traditional barm leaven made from a natural leaven with the addition of hops. However, the Barm Cake is more likely made from commercial yeast today.
The original barm cake is found in areas of Lancashire, North West England. In wider northern England, a similar bread roll would be known instead as a "breadbun", "breadcake", "bap", "cob" (a Midlands term), "teacake" (West Yorkshire/some parts of Cumbria; without currants or currant teacake with currants) or even (in the enlarged form of Tyneside) a "stotty".
Chips are a popular filling, sold in most fish and chip shops in the North West of England often called simply a 'chip barm'.

You need to know when you've been defeated mate, leave with some dignity in tact. The Muffin man has spoken

CTID1988 said:
Eccles Blue said:
barm cake
noun
Northern English

muffin
noun

You need to know when you've been defeated mate, leave with some dignity in tact. The Muffin man has spoken

Nah, I'm a woman, we always have the last word!!! Or, as I heard Darren Gough say on the radio this morning. we can have a debate and I will listen but.............. in the end I will still be right!!! :-)

American 'English Muffins' are not even English, they were invented by an English emigrant in 1880 by Samuel Bath Thomas. This is after the term was used to describe lovely flat rounds of breaded loveliness as has been described earlier.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/breadstuffs/english-muffin-history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/b ... istory.asp</a>

It's notable that Americans have a knack of taking English words and using them for describing something unrelated. Take 2 sporting examples, (American) Football... very rare does the foot get used, Handball.. not the European version but like the game 'Fives'.

Here's how to tell a muffiner from a barmpot:

Muffiners: Flat and dense.
Barmpots: Soft and full of fresh air.

Anyroad we only got muffins in my youth. Barms were not needed because for a lighter sweeter bread and for those with false teeth we have teacakes and for that extra special toasted treat toasted teacakes. Yes, all are bread derivatives in their own right and all exist, it's just a simple fact, barms are surplus to requirements. In a chip butty barms stick to the roof of my mouth and fall apart, a muffin has that perfect relationship between sticks of deep fried potato, butter and a bread that will hold it all together when you get half way down your chippy chip butty and rip the wrapper off

Carver said:
American 'English Muffins' are not even English, they were invented by an English emigrant in 1880 by Samuel Bath Thomas. This is after the term was used to describe lovely flat rounds of breaded loveliness as has been described earlier.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/breadstuffs/english-muffin-history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/b ... istory.asp</a>

It's notable that Americans have a knack of taking English words and using them for describing something unrelated. Take 2 sporting examples, (American) Football... very rare does the foot get used, Handball.. not the European version but like the game 'Fives'.

Anyroad we only got muffins in my youth. Barms were not needed because for a lighter sweeter bread and for those with false teeth we have teacakes and for that extra special toasted treat toasted teacakes. Yes, all are bread derivatives in their own right and all exist, it's just a simple fact, barms are surplus to requirements. In a chip butty barms stick to the roof of my mouth and fall apart, a muffin has that perfect relationship between sticks of deep fried potato, butter and a bread that will hold it all together when you get half way down your chippy chip butty and rip the wrapper off

That made me laugh out loud with your chip butty barm, however it does not change my view that it is a barm. :-)

Carver said:

Both exist? Are you bi-sexual?

When I was arriving at the Etihad for City v CSKA, I heard two stewards on the gate having the Barm vs Muffin debate.

Eccles Blue said:
barm cake
noun
Northern English

muffin
noun

I thank You .

Eccles Blue said:
barm cake
noun
Northern English

muffin
noun

A barm cake is a type of bun with flour on top. It has a characteristically strong flavour that comes from the traditional barm leaven made from a natural leaven with the addition of hops. However, the BARM CAKE is more likely made from commercial yeast today.

Barm cake.....it's the cake bit that does it.

muffin all day long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.