Muffin or Barm

Liar!

55.jpg
They are oven bottoms, the muffin is added to cater for southerners and no nothing cnuts. Warbies have gone all Artisan

Last edited:
They are oven bottoms, the muffin is added to cater for southerners and no nothing counts. Warbies have gone all Artisan
Seriously though, these were what we used for chip butties (from way back when) and I've never found a better product because the overall area of it permits the addition of a centre dollop of mushy peas. Sliced white, real barms, rolls, flour cakes and, at a push, cobs, just about suffice but the way the OBM soaks up the vinegar* is just magical.

*Of course QI have since informed the nation that it's not always vinegar in a chippy.

If you barm pots haven't sampled a traditional Lancashire oven bottom muffin you're just food peasants.
I'm going to try this recipe at some point, because there might be some truth in Warburton's marketing of the OBM to the southern masses ...

Personally I always look for Sheldon's OBMs anyway rather the Warburton's option.

.. but just look at the alternative Barm recipe - it's just a derivation of a bap - a basic one at that, not even a food group of its own! Unlike the mighty OBM.

I'm going to try this recipe at some point, because there might be some truth in Warburton's marketing of the OBM to the southern masses ...

Personally I always look for Sheldon's OBMs anyway rather the Warburton's option.

.. but just look at the alternative Barm recipe - it's just a derivation of a bap - a basic one at that, not even a food group of its own! Unlike the mighty OBM.

Sheldon's are utter wank, I'd rather have a warbies if I had to!

Sorry, but I'm a muffin snob, I won't eat any old muffins sold in shops. Best oven bottom muffins are baked in Ashton and they are sold by 3 or 4 stalls in the market hall there. You can get them in Bury market hall too but they're 5p dearer.
I think they're £1.10 for half a dozen nowadays. Best stall is facing Pearsons butchers.
Half a dozen muffins, pound of Manchester sausages, sorted: )

Seriously though, these were what we used for chip butties (from way back when) and I've never found a better product because the overall area of it permits the addition of a centre dollop of mushy peas. Sliced white, real barms, rolls, flour cakes and, at a push, cobs, just about suffice but the way the OBM soaks up the vinegar* is just magical.

*Of course QI have since informed the nation that it's not always vinegar in a chippy.
My missus is Geordie, they have similar to barm cakes but are bigger. They are called Stottie Cakes and a Fadge ( a bigger stottie but with quadrant grooves baked in the top. ) I must say that the Fadge my missus presented to me over 30 years ago was superb. Still liking it after all this time

Sorry, but I'm a muffin snob, I won't eat any old muffins sold in shops. Best oven bottom muffins are baked in Ashton and they are sold by 3 or 4 stalls in the market hall there. You can get them in Bury market hall too but they're 5p dearer.
I think they're £1.10 for half a dozen nowadays. Best stall is facing Pearsons butchers.
I don't think I've done a blindfold taste test between Warbies and Sheldon's (sure there's another one with a yellow label that I buy occasionally). I eat bread so rarely now that maybe I don't need gold standard any more! That's why I'm thinking of baking my own. I'm not doing a market, have an aversion to them.

The Ashton Market OB stands tall with the Bury Market BP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.