multifuel stove and plaster

ashytheblue

im fitting a multifuel stove and I have opened the fireplace abit and plaster bonded it.
my question is would normal plaster be ok on the inside of the fireplace where the stove will be or will I have to get riped off and buy some of this high temp plaster?

My gas fire is 7.5kw which is in a marble surround and the heat from it cracked the plaster above.

Tuearts right boot said:
Fire board and fire cement is what you need.

We used aspesterlux board I was told its part of the building regs then I tiled over it, also I was told you have to blank off the rest of the chimney I bought some L shaped metal from B&Q put that round the inside of the chimney and used the off cuts of the aspesterlux to fill it in then used fire cement to seal it, All works out fine, we have noticed you get far more heat from coal than we do off wood or logs, plus as the heat rises it heats most of the house, saving us a lot of money in gas.

Im going to give it ago with normal plaster, let it dry then tile over it with porcelain tiles using fire cement to fix them on. im hoping the tiles will absorb most of the heat not to affect the plaster underneath them.

keep letting me know of over ways people have done it,

cheers

Tuearts right boot said:

This what TRB says mate, don't take any chances whatsoever where fire's are concerned and get it done by a registered installer, asking for trouble otherwise imo/ime.

blue10high said:
Tuearts right boot said:

We used aspesterlux board I was told its part of the building regs then I tiled over it, also I was told you have to blank off the rest of the chimney I bought some L shaped metal from B&Q put that round the inside of the chimney and used the off cuts of the aspesterlux to fill it in then used fire cement to seal it, All works out fine, we have noticed you get far more heat from coal than we do off wood or logs, plus as the heat rises it heats most of the house, saving us a lot of money in gas.

You mean asbestolux?? That contained asbestos and has not been made since 1978. Maybe you mean its replacement Supalux, which doesn't. (I used to work for Cape Boards who made it, now made by Promat in Blackburn).

ashytheblue said:
Im going to give it ago with normal plaster, let it dry then tile over it with porcelain tiles using fire cement to fix them on. im hoping the tiles will absorb most of the heat not to affect the plaster underneath them.

keep letting me know of over ways people have done it,

cheers

Not worth it mate, you need to do it with fireboard otherwise it will crack, seen it many times over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.