Must be just me then

bluemoonmatt

that thinks we played pretty well, away from home, largely dominated the game against a decent (albeit not brilliant but decent nonetheless) european team and now look in the driving seat to progress in the competition. I really dont get all the doom merchants on here that lament a "piss poor performance" against a "championship at best" team

Ffs no team at this stage of any euro competition are mugs, Spuds got beat by a similarly skilled team and the all conquering Villa are now second favorites against a CSKA team who in my opinion are only marginally better than Copenhagen.

This board is beginning to make me doubt myself. I always thought I was one of life's pessimist's because that way you rarely end up disappointed but last night City gave me reasons to be cheerful. Sure we conceded two poor goals but still look favorites, yet some people still think this increases their belief that Hughes is shit and Robinho's not bothered etc.

I despair I really do

bluemoonmatt said:
that thinks we played pretty well, away from home, largely dominated the game against a decent (albeit not brilliant but decent nonetheless) european team and now look in the driving seat to progress in the competition. I really dont get all the doom merchants on here that lament a "piss poor performance" against a "championship at best" team

Ffs no team at this stage of any euro competition are mugs, Spuds got beat by a similarly skilled team and the all conquering Villa are now second favorites against a CSKA team who in my opinion are only marginally better than Copenhagen.

This board is beginning to make me doubt myself. I always thought I was one of life's pessimist's because that way you rarely end up disappointed but last night City gave me reasons to be cheerful. Sure we conceded two poor goals but still look favorites, yet some people still think this increases their belief that Hughes is shit and Robinho's not bothered etc.

I despair I really do

If the club and the rest of the magnanimous fans have any ambition whatsoever, you are going to have to learn that whilst that kind of result used to be a 'good' result, it is actually a crap result. We are going to have to stop letting teams off the hook all the time, and pull the trigger instead. We need to be more organised. That defence is shocking. Simply shocking. Headless chickens.

It wasn't a good result, considering the chances we had to put the game to bed. It was a piss poor result where we were gifted a goal, but they were gifted 2 goals. If apologists like yourself want to praise performances like that, then we have little or no hope of progressing as a club.

A "Piss poor" performance" was Stoke and Portsmouth, Yes we should have won but does the fact that we pretty much dominated a game against a last 32 European outfit taking two away goals back to our place not represent a decent result (not a great result, but a decent result)

bluemoonmatt said:

I despair I really do

Optimism, gilded with realism, yes a good job well done, congratulations to the players, but the defensive frailities are there for all to see and coheson and link play is still not there.

This is where the board divides. You're either one who wants the club to move forward and finish games off when they have the chances and wants us to be up there with the best, or you're prepared to shrug your shoulders when we let them back into the game and still call it a good result.

The two goals we conceeded were terrible and came down to people not picking up their target to mark. To let them in at the last minute was poor tactics given that he left three up again. He's meant to be closing the game out and taking a bigger advantage into the game than we are currently stuck with.

Don't get me wrong - 2 away goals is fine - but don't expect me to be doing summersaults over the performance aswell. Shaun had a chance he should have tucked away, Bellamy had a chance and hit the side netting and there were countless other half chances.

C_T_I_D said:
This is where the board divides. You're either one who wants the club to move forward and finish games off when they have the chances and wants us to be up there with the best, or you're prepared to shrug your shoulders when we let them back into the game and still call it a good result.

The two goals we conceeded were terrible and came down to people not picking up their target to mark. To let them in at the last minute was poor tactics given that he left three up again. He's meant to be closing the game out and taking a bigger advantage into the game than we are currently stuck with.

Don't get me wrong - 2 away goals is fine - but don't expect me to be doing summersaults over the performance aswell. Shaun had a chance he should have tucked away, Bellamy had a chance and hit the side netting and there were countless other half chances.

I'm not in a state of nirvana over last nights result but I am content with it. I am disappointed with the goals, the marking was shocking but they have to come to ours with our good home record and basically win. I see that as reasons to be cheerful, not suicidal

Yes, they do have to come over to us and win and if we get one goal then we should be fine.

I'm just not willing to agree with these people who say it's an excellent result and are seemingly delighted with the performance in the matchday forum. In fact, letting them two goals in has made me worry about the Liverpool game. Our away form is bad to start off with but if we're not picking up the attackers like that, then what are we going to be like against Torres and Kuyt and Gerrard?

I'd have just liked to have seen us get the lead, kick on and take our chances and roll out comfortable winners.

Why do people seem unable to seperate the result from the performence?

All things considered, the performence was good, we were two blocks and 4 successful (and not too difficult) 1-1's from killing them.

ManCityFC said:
bluemoonmatt said:

I despair I really do

If the club and the rest of the magnanimous fans have any ambition whatsoever, you are going to have to learn that whilst that kind of result used to be a 'good' result, it is actually a crap result. We are going to have to stop letting teams off the hook all the time, and pull the trigger instead. We need to be more organised. That defence is shocking. Simply shocking. Headless chickens.

It wasn't a good result, considering the chances we had to put the game to bed. It was a piss poor result where we were gifted a goal, but they were gifted 2 goals. If apologists like yourself want to praise performances like that, then we have little or no hope of progressing as a club.

What an absolute load of rubbish, any away game in Europe where we draw and score two away goals is a good result. This was not a bunch of mugs we were playing, Copenhagen have not been beaten at home in 11 months and turned over the rags in the champions league recently. I can understand the disappointment at conceeding a late goal but the negativity on this board is unbelievable. Maybe if we had won 5-0 last night some people may have been remotely happy but somehow I doubt it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.