Must see documentaries..

My Dad did an 18 month stint out there (USAF) it definately changed his life and probably ours (family) too....not for the better. He saw some crazy shit

The cost paid by so many who served there didn't end when they came home. The urge to, "put Vietnam behind us" to forget, must have been such a kick in the teeth.

America always reveered its soldiers. Not in any real or actual way, but more in a way that makes people feel better about themselves, without really doing fuckall for them.

That's a global phenomenon though. It's like the useless, thoughts and prayers. Well thoughts and prayers never solved or helped any problem.
To be there and endure that and to come home and be blamed for being there was shameful.

They were sent there, they went, they fought and died and those lucky to come home were betrayed by the country. It wasn't their fault. They didn't start or continue the war.

The decisions to continue the conflict, knowing they could never win, tells us all we need to know about how much politicians love service personnel. Those decisions to me were no more than murder. They lied on an industrial scale.

The problems your family suffered due to your dad having gone through that is tragic. If he is still alive, tell him there are people across the world who respected them. Not the war, not the bullshit reasons for the war. But them. Those that had to deal with it.

I am one of those people.

The cost paid by so many who served there didn't end when they came home. The urge to, "put Vietnam behind us" to forget, must have been such a kick in the teeth.

America always reveered its soldiers. Not in any real or actual way, but more in a way that makes people feel better about themselves, without really doing fuckall for them.

That's a global phenomenon though. It's like the useless, thoughts and prayers. Well thoughts and prayers never solved or helped any problem.
To be there and endure that and to come home and be blamed for being there was shameful.

They were sent there, they went, they fought and died and those lucky to come home were betrayed by the country. It wasn't their fault. They didn't start or continue the war.

The decisions to continue the conflict, knowing they could never win, tells us all we need to know about how much politicians love service personnel. Those decisions to me were no more than murder. They lied on an industrial scale.

The problems your family suffered due to your dad having gone through that is tragic. If he is still alive, tell him there are people across the world who respected them. Not the war, not the bullshit reasons for the war. But them. Those that had to deal with it.

I am one of those people.
His base got closed down when over half the personnel contracted hepatitis, he spent three months in a military hospital in Japan before coming back to the States and being spat on at the airport. the spitters were very lucky that day....the old man was a tough SOB, he's still alive, coming up to 88 years old

His base got closed down when over half the personnel contracted hepatitis, he spent three months in a military hospital in Japan before coming back to the States and being spat on at the airport. the spitters were very lucky that day....the old man was a tough SOB, he's still alive, coming up to 88 years old

I'm glad to hear the old fella is still going. As for people spitting on him? If ever rage at a situation was misdirected, it has to be Vietnam. Tell him he has a new pal in Scotland.

Watching Vietnam on Kodi it seems there are two different versions the one on bbc4 is 10 hours long the Kodi version is 18 hours, onto episode 3 now

For anybody who's interested, Sam Harris interviewed the makers of the Vietnamese documentary (it took them ten years to make) on his podcast. It's number 97.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.