My laptop broke, rang HP to see how much to fix it...

Bojinov The Bull

It was 3 weeks outside of the warranty. There was a fan fault in it, it blew a couple of chips on the motherboard so it needs a new motherboard and fan according to HP. I looked up online how much I can get both for and it is around £160 from a computer shop. Being the manufacturer though im sure they'll get the parts at about a quarter of the cost you would in the shop.

HP quoted me £387 to fix it! The laptop only cost £330 brand new! How is that possible? Plus you only get a 90 day guarantee against the fault they fixed if it goes again.

Never buying one of their computers again!

See if it is a common fault by checking a geeks forum.
Had similar with Dell and a guy came to fix the motherboard at home for no charge even though out of warranty.
Was a common fault

I'd certainly be discussing the matter with HP customer service, if it was 3 months out of warranty then fine its the risk you take no having an extended warranty cover, but 3 weeks ? I think you'd have a good case to get it fixed for free.

I've had several makes of laptop, but overall I've found HP to be the most reliable, so not buying another from them is just cutting your options down, though I can understand why you feel annoyed when they quote you more for a repair than the cost of a new one, but it shows how little margin there is on laptops.

cleavers said:
I'd certainly be discussing the matter with HP customer service, if it was 3 months out of warranty then fine its the risk you take no having an extended warranty cover, but 3 weeks ? I think you'd have a good case to get it fixed for free.

I've had several makes of laptop, but overall I've found HP to be the most reliable, so not buying another from them is just cutting your options down, though I can understand why you feel annoyed when they quote you more for a repair than the cost of a new one, but it shows how little margin there is on laptops.
HP are known for poor reliability and so is a very good 'option' to cut out.

It was 3 weeks outside of the warranty.

12 months old or 24 months old?

It makes a difference as to your next course of action.

Its 12 months not 24 months. I'll get back on to them then and plead my case a bit more! I've had quite a few laptops including the lesser known makes like Acer and Lenovo and never had any problems, great reliability this is the first i've ever had break down. There are enough makes out there to be able to not buy a HP again!

I'm not really a lawyer but if the warranty has run out, does it matter if it's by 10 years or 10 minutes?

They're obligation is over on expiry isn't it?

tidyman said:
I'm not really a lawyer but if the warranty has run out, does it matter if it's by 10 years or 10 minutes?

They're obligation is over on expiry isn't it?
No, not under either UK or EU law, however, after six months, legally the burden shifts to you to prove it was a manufacturer's defect and not your misuse/abuse which caused the problem. Certainly having evidence of lots of other people having had this issue would bolster any claim.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.