My Premier League Prediction 2010/11

JoeMercer'sWay

PM if interested in starting fan kit consultation
So far this summer very few clubs have really invested in their sides, with Manchester City the only big spenders so far this summer. With the Blues spending large sums on big stars, a Champions League slot that they narrowly missed out on last time around seems inevitable, with the teams around them failing to substantially improve their squads. Obviously with a couple of weeks left in the window things may change, but this is my prediction with the current squads in the Premier League:

Arsenal
My Prediction:3rd.

The Gunners have had a bigger reshuffle than most this summer, by clearing out aging baggage in Mikael Silvestre and Sol Campbell and the underpar Eduardo, and again bringing in younger prospects in Marouane Chamakh and Laurent Koscielny. For me however the squad is not any stronger than last season and again I think they will not be able to sustain a title challenge and will be looking over their shoulders at the big-spending Manchester City as they will inevitably close the gap this season, for me Arsenal will again be a rather distant 3rd.

Aston Villa
My Prediction-8th.

Villa have been dealt a big blow with the unexpected departure of their manager Martin O'Neill just 5 days before the start of the season, and with the lack of any real investment in their squad and the possibles departures of Ashley Young and James Milner still to come, I can only see Villa going backwards, and with the belief that Everton have a stronger squad now, I see Villa missing out on European football next year unless some investment, stability and a good manager come in.

Birmingham City
My Prediction-10th.

Last year the Brummies exceeded all expectations with a comfortable finish in the mid-table of the Premier League. This summer they have invested in Ben Foster and Nikola Zigic, who for me are both good acquisitions who will strengthen their squad. I think with a quality manager in Alex McLeish and a stronger side this season, I don't see Birmingham doing any worse this season and I think a top 10 finish is more than possible.

Blackburn Rovers
My Prediction-14th.

Sam Allardyce kept Rovers up comfortably last season but without real investment the former Premier League champions will struggle again this season. They will rely heavily on Nikola Kalinic for goals, and the ever dependable figures of Chris Samba and David Dunn. I don't think Rovers will get relegated, but every year they are getting closer and closer with a lack of investment in the squad, and I think it will be much tighter this year than last time around.

Blackpool
My Prediction-20th.

The seasiders got a fairytale story by winning the play-off victory at Wembley in May, and they will ultimately enjoy their stay in the league. However their squad lacks Premier League quality, their manager is not experienced at this level and really they will be on the level of a Burnley at best, or Derby at worse, as I don't think they are anywhere near good enough to sustain themselves in the top division. A one-year stay and take the parachute payments for the seasiders in my opinion.

Bolton Wanderers
My Prediction-15th.

Bolton stayed up under manager Owen Coyle after he saved Gary Megson's sinking ship. He has also managed to acquire experienced players in Robbie Blake and Martin Petrov, which will help his side as long as they stay fit, which is unlikely. His nouse with loan signings may also help come the end of the window, but a lack of goals will hinder his side. Kevin Davies will be relied upon along with Ivan Klasnic, unless Johan Elmander magically finds some form. I still think Bolton will struggle, but I think they have enough about them to stay up this season.

Chelsea
My prediction: 1st.

Carlo Ancelotti brought Chelsea their first league title in 3 years last season, but over the summer has let go more than he's brought in. The departures of Deco, Ballack and Joe Cole aren't going to be cried about, but they brought a bit of depth to the side, which has only added Yossi Benayoun to its ranks. For me, Chelsea will still have more about them than United over a whole season, despite the Community Shield result, but I think that much sought after Champions League will be another missing trophy this season, unless something dramatic happens before the end of the window. Chelsea champions-just.

Everton
My Prediction-7th.

The Toffees have added some depth to their fragile yet talented squad this summer, but as always for Everton their season will depend on keeping their key players fit. Last season this is what cost them, as they had top 4 form during the end of the season, and if they stay fit, they could well be right up there challenging for a Champions League spot. Failing that necessity, I think they will be scrapping for a potential last Europa League spot with Villa, but I think they have more about them than the Villains so will get 7th spot this season, maybe 6th if Liverpool continue to struggle.

Fulham
My Prediction-12th.

Mark Hughes takes over a difficult job, succeeding Roy Hodgson. A good manager for mid-table outfits, he will do as good a job as he did at Blackburn if given enough resources. For me the squad has talent, but I think it lacks quality depth and will only be on a down after last season's exploits. I think Fulham will still struggle with their away form, and that may cost them a top 10 finish, but I think they will be comfortably safe this season.

Liverpool
My Prediction-6th.

Liverpool's turmoil is reaching a head, potential takeovers all over the place, none evidently materialising. Their dependance on Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Pepe Reina will again hinder them, and Roy Hodgson is not in Benitez's league. However I think Liverpool are due a bit of good luck and it may happen in the league this season, and the addition of Joe Cole is still a good one. One thing's for sure, they have to get goals out of other players, not just Torres. I may be being kind because of who they are, but I'll give them a 6th place finish, just because I think enough is able to go wrong at clubs below them.

Manchester City
My Prediction-4th.

City are the only team in the league to really utlilise the transfer market-as is expected, as they are the richest club in the world and need to invest to guarantee Champions League football, and they have done that, with some excellent acquisitions in David Silva, Jerome Boateng, Yaya Toure and Aleksandar Kolarov, all top class internationals. Roberto Mancini has a tough job balancing the side but as a proven trophy-winning manager at Inter and various Serie A clubs, he also has the experience and seeing the investment made by the Blues and comparing that to Spurs, who pipped them last season, I really do think it's inevitable that City will overtake the London club, whatever happens in the clash in the first game of the season. Sorry Spurs fans, but I think City are ahead now.

Manchester United
Prediction: 2nd.

United haven't really strengthened, with £17m spent on unproven players in Chris Smalling and Javi Hernandez. However they still have enough quality to hold station, and only City behind them have really strengthened, so I think they can keep 2nd this season. However I think they don't have the depth to keep a sustained title challenge, so ultimately I think they will fall short on all fronts this season.

Newcastle United
Prediction-19th.

You may raise your eyebrows but I don't believe Newcastle have enough to stay up, in fact they have less than last time they went down. Chris Hughton for me is one of the weakest managers in the league and I don't think he is made for this level, and the signing of Sol Campbell leaves a lot to be desired. James Perch is unproven at this level and Dan Gosling is a decent player but again inexperienced. For me the impatience of the Geordie supporters, the farcical nature of the owner's tenure and the inexperience of the squad will count against them and I think they will go down this season.

Stoke City
My Prediction-16th.

I have changed this since beginning to write this piece. I originally had Stoke to go down but have since decided that they just have a little bit more than my other contenders to go down, with their premier league experience added to their direct, rough style of play. Tony Pulis doesn't seem to have as much control as he'd like, and I think they will get found out finally this season. A lack of squad investment also hinders progress, so really I think the Potters will stay up due to the poorness of other sides rather than their own ability.

Sunderland
My Prediction-9th.

Maybe a tad optimistic but Sunderland have spent a bit of cash this summer and will be hoping for consistancy this season. The goals of Darren Bent will be invaluable, and the good additions in Christian Riveros and Titus Bramble will strengthen them, though the loss of captain Lorik Cana will be a downside. However I think they have enough about them and with a few more attacking additions I think they could do really well this season.

Tottenham Hotspur
My Prediction: 5th.

Spurs sealed a great 4th place and Champions League football last season but have only added Sandro to their ranks, so they have fallen behind Man City during the summer. With a few more additions they could challenge for 4th, but I think they'll be a relatively comfortable 5th, and even though I think they'll beat the Blues on saturday, I think over a season they won't quite have enough to remain in the top 4.

West Brom
My Prediction-18th.

I had the Baggies to stay up before deciding that their lack of a top quality striker will count against them. Although they have strengthened their backline with some solid summer additions, they will once again be relying on a championship level strikeforce to keep them up, and I just don't think they'll manage it. I think they'll be the most competitive promoted side and it will be a lot tighter this season, but I just don't think they'll have enough.

West Ham
My Prediction-11th.

The Hammers really struggled last season but it's all new at the club, and the prospects look a bit brighter. With a new, talented and experienced manager in Avram Grant and some solid new signings, West Ham should stay up comfortably. However I think the owners tendency to get too hands on will hamper them a bit, as will a lack of quality depth, but I think the Hammers will be back up the table this season.

Wigan Athletic
My Prediction-17th.

I think it will be really tight this season, and Wigan will be right down there in my opinion. Roberto Martinez has to learn from last season, but if given the patience I think he can deliver. A lack of an out and out goalscorer will hinder them, as will the loss of Titus Bramble, but they have invested quite substantially for a small club, just less than £10m, and they have quite a good depth to the side too. However they are a team that can be ripped apart, so they will have to manage their inconsistancy if they want to stay up, as I think if West Brom do score goals then Wigan will be in big trouble. Just staying up in my opinion.

Wolves
My Prediction-13th.

You may be surprised I rank Wolves so highly but I think they have a good balance and will improve on last season. They have good depth, and the additions of Stephen Fletcher and Stephen Hunt will boost their attacking prowess, and I think Mick McCarthy is a good manager who will do well with Wolves, so I think they could be in for a good season.

Well that's my prediction, what do you think? For a full list of Premier League transfers <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182937&p=3440540#p3440540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182937&p=3440540#p3440540</a>, to help you form an opinion of each team this season.

I agree with most of that, although i think villa are in trouble, complete turmoil at the moment.

If we bought a goalie and defender i would really fancy us but we wont, we will go the same way as last season. Liverpool will beat us on sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.