My sons' event.

I'd rather give my opinion that the means by which the cause is supported will likely lead to further spread of the virus in this country. Therefore, I think it's a bad idea to donate and will give that opinion on a discussion forum. If others disagree, that's fine.
Please read their post - they are supporting social distancing.

Thank you to those who donated. They had a target of £500 which they have more than doubled. They have raised their target to £2k now with all proceeds being shared between the two nominated charities. For those who doubt the intention due to social distance, please read the Just Giving statement - this is about togetherness in mind, not body, with each athlete running their own race under current guidance.

Reactions: Ric
Thank you to those who donated. They had a target of £500 which they have more than doubled. They have raised their target to £2k now with all proceeds being shared between the two nominated charities. For those who doubt the intention due to social distance, please read the Just Giving statement - this is about togetherness in mind, not body, with each athlete running their own race under current guidance.
Massive respect for the way you have maintained your dignity in this thread despite the despicable, hateful responses from the gutter.

My sons and their supporters completed all 26 miles of their marathon, yesterday. Against a target of £500, they raised more than 3k for a cause they passionately support. A very proud moment indeed so thank you to those who contributed.

Massive respect for the way you have maintained your dignity in this thread despite the despicable, hateful responses from the gutter.

Yeah pointing out that it's going to an organisation that states it wants to abolish capitalism, abolish the police and so on is really out of order.

Frankly, I'm amazed that this thread was allowed to stand when BLM UK's aims became clear and I think it's shameful that anyone would campaign for money to be directed to these causes.

Hopefully the OP's son or anyone who donates is never the victim of violence or needs to rely on the police because I'd have zero sympathy for them.

Yeah pointing out that it's going to an organisation that states it wants to abolish capitalism, abolish the police and so on is really out of order.

Frankly, I'm amazed that this thread was allowed to stand when BLM UK's aims became clear and I think it's shameful that anyone would campaign for money to be directed to these causes.

Hopefully the OP's son or anyone who donates is never the victim of violence or needs to rely on the police because I'd have zero sympathy for them.
Abolish the police?

I have seen a number of posts akin to this one across different channels. I see no reference to the issues you raise in the official BLM ten-point plan. Having 'zero sympathy' for a victim of violence, because of their political allegiances, shows how divided society has become. Whether you are a supporter or not, this view is alien to my beliefs.

I have seen a number of posts akin to this one across different channels. I see no reference to the issues you raise in the official BLM ten-point plan. Having 'zero sympathy' for a victim of violence, because of their political allegiances, shows how divided society has become. Whether you are a supporter or not, this view is alien to my beliefs.

If you look at the fundraising page linked to on the official BLM UK Twitter account, there's more information there.

Saying 'zero sympathy' was a bit over the top but less sympathy is definitely accurate for those people who've taken the time to read what BLM UK stands for and decided to campaign for them anyway.

There are many people out there who can't afford to pay for private security (many of them disproportionately black) so if they find themselves with nowhere to go as victims of crime because of the roots laid down by campaigns like this then my sympathies lie with them rather than the architects of these dangerous ideas.

That's without mentioning their recent posts decrying Zionism and all the other things they believe in.

Maybe your son is a good person (I know plenty of good people who support BLM) who's ignorant to a lot of BLM's activities but I think it would be a mistake to donate to them ahead of other anti-racism charities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.