My Thoughts, On Everything Really

JoeMercer'sWay

PM if interested in starting fan kit consultation
We didn't deserve to win tonight, United played better than us and deserved to go through.

The referee was good I had no complaints with him.

My feeling is is that, having watched these 2 Derby games at OT, that we just aren't good enough yet. For me, the players try really hard, and I can't really fault them, but together as a unit they are not good enough to beat big teams(Chelsea, Man Utd) AWAY from home. At home everything is different, but I don't believe we are good enough to be a sustained Champions League level team yet, we need more investment. I know if we finish 4th we may get it, but it's just my thought.

Everyone did well tonight, maybe Barry underperformed a LITTLE bit, and Garrido struggled against a top team, but everyone did quite well. Our defence wasn't first choice, but I don't honestly believe Toure and Lescott are THAT much better than what we had tonight, in fact our defence tonight did a better job than they did last time.

What I think(And I know I'm not a manager, I just feel entitled to my opinion) is two new centre backs, at least one foreign and from a top level team, because we need the experience, the cool head that we lacked so much tonight. We panic, 2 of their goals came from us unable to clear our lines, it's unlucky but you make your own luck at the top.

Left back is an absolute priority, we have no LB good enough for the big games. RB too, as although Zabaleta is pretty good, is he really top level? and again Micah's positional sense let him down tonight, he's a happy go lucky player.

Is Barry good enough for Top 4 regularity? I don't know, he certainly isn't playing like it. De Jong in my opinion is very good and should be built around in the midfield, and an on-form Stevie is good too, but 1 or 2 quality box-to-box or creative midfielders is desperately needed because we can't keep the ball.

Bellamy is good but getting on and isn't world class, so another winger, young, quick, 2 good feet preferibly, especially as Robbie is gone. Tevez is great and Ade has a place here, but we need another top striker, just blow a hole in the budget and get someone really great. Shauny is good on the right but again top level? Chelsea didn't think so.

Mancini has the experience and tools necessary to achieve this. It's not his chosen squad and it takes lots of time sometimes, but he needs to be given the backing to do what he wants with the team. What I'm saying is that our team is very good and can probably get us top 4, but when it comes to big games like tonight, we are quite a bit short in my opinion.

I am totally behind Mancini and the owners, but if I had one tiny criticism it is that we have not moved to strengthen sufficiently in this window. What the reason for that is, nobody knows, but it is very strange and a little disappointing. We do not need to perform major squad surgery, but there is work that needs doing. Whether it is the board blocking it, Mancini not having funds, not being able to acquire players he wants or some strategy to wait until the last minute to prevent others from having time to spend our money, who knows?

When they (rightly) binned Hughes everyone assumed that the timing was, in part, to give the new man the transfer window.

So why have we pissed it away? Just Vieira in for nothing, and still unable to play, given our injuries and absences is bewildering.

I know the market is stagnant, but that is because nobody except us has any real money. An opportunity missed so far for me.

maybe we didn't deserve to win but we certainly had a good go but we are missing that cutting edge. When they attacked they had men in the box but when we went forward we were lucky to get 2 in the box. We gave them too much space and apart from a few shining moments we never looked like we knew what to do with the ball.The defence were good and I thought Boyata had a great game and saved us a couple of goals. We are a work in progress and we are doing well we just need a bit more confidence and a decent midfielder.

I have a feeling Toure and Lescott will excel under Mancini,I think Hughes gung ho tactics left them exposed and I think Kompany and Boyata are being overated,don't get me wrong I think there doing a good job but I think thats lot to do with the support their getting from the rest of the team which Toure and Lescott clearly didn't get.Boyata has a great future but Kompany for me is a midfielder although I'll be interested to see him alongside Toure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.