Napoli post-match thread

Thought the first 30 minutes were excellent and had De Bruyne made it 3 the second half might have been different.

One thing we need to work on is when speedy attackers are running at our defence do we go to them or back off and off till the point of giving a penalty away?

Yup that's right. All I am trying to say is that despite the table looking nice for us right now, we are not through yet. Both away games in Napoli and Donetzk will be very tough.

Indeed, but it could also be that both teams are actually more of a problem away from home, as the onus isn't on us to bust our knackers winning the game in the first 30 mins, so we have more energy for later.

Getting a result in Napoli is a big one though imo, not because it's crucial for qualification, but because it effectively means we can concentrate on domestic football as we should beat Feyenoord even with players rested.

I'm sure that's why Pep has been pushing this 11 so hard now, to get the job done early.

Fernandinho is going to be burnt soon. We don't have an able sub for what he does. Gundogan comes closest but I doubt he can defend like Fernandinho does.

Indeed, but it could also be that both teams are actually more of a problem away from home, as the onus isn't on us to bust our knackers winning the game in the first 30 mins, so we have more energy for later.

Getting a result in Napoli is a big one though imo, not because it's crucial for qualification, but because it effectively means we can concentrate on domestic football as we should beat Feyenoord even with players rested.

I'm sure that's why Pep has been pushing this 11 so hard now, to get the job done early.

Yep, we have Shakhtar away on the 6th December-three days before we play the bus parkers at Old Toilet, we need this putting to bed so we can properly rotate ready for the derby.

If anything, we didn't play out from the back enough. Too many direct balls, losing possession and them coming right back at us, already in good positions from the previous attack. Mostly from Walker. Stones and Otamendi were unbelievable. The full backs struggled much more than those two with the pressure, but a full back does have fewer passing lanes, so it's understandable I guess.
I thought we played it from the back too much, it wasn't successful and the players themselves were nervous about it as the game wore on, I think Napoli major chances came from fuck ups in the back where we were trying to play from the back through 5 or 6 pressers.

When we do that and the opposition press us a lot we tended to fold last season, and I saw that happening last night to a degree.

pep needs to do something about that and stop it happening before that mindset takes hold again this year

You've also got to remember we have in effect a half point due to our vastly better GD than anyone else. Not to mention will probably further improve it with our home game against feyernoyd
Just looked at the official regulations, unfortunately head to head comes before GD when teams are on equal points

Yup that's right. All I am trying to say is that despite the table looking nice for us right now, we are not through yet. Both away games in Napoli and Donetzk will be very tough.

No one has said we've qualified.

We simply have to take 1 point off either Napoli or Shakhtar to guarantee it though.

City’s achilles heel last season, usually surfaced when we dominated from the kick-off, but lacked the killer instinct. ( Everton, Boro, Spurs etc). Even the horrific refereeing against Chelsea wouldn’t have mattered if Aguero and De Bruyne had scored when it mattered.

In those situations, when the opposition sense an opportunity, our midfield becomes jittery, and the whole formation looks lopsided.

As supporters, we need to recognise these moments, and create an intimidating atmosphere, rather than indulging in silly games, where half the South Stand aren’t even watching the game, as Napoli prepare to take a corner at the other end.

Just saying...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.