NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive

Expected a different thread. Only read the first word of the thread title. That'll teach me.

In fact I have this http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/netgear-readynas-duo- had it a couple of years for media storage, online backup etc. This is my, older cheaper version but you can upgrade the hd's anytime so no biggie. One disk started dying a few months ago and the hot swap was excellent. Also acts as a iTunes server but that bits not superb (works, but slow to load). There some cheap ones there on eBay - I'd buy mine again, I have to say.

Edit. That seagate isn't raid. Mine is i.e there is a main disk and a backup disk which copies the main disk every night. If the disk goes (and one of my two did as mentioned above) without raid you"ll lose the lot. Ok for data sharing, but best to have a built in backup if you are bothering to do this. I just keep another spare drive by the nas under the stairs on a ups (uninteruptable power supply = nas does a controlled shutdown if the power goes for more than 40 mins = no data loss) and it emails me if there is a problem. Fuck that's geeky when I read it back, but its secure...there are a lot of tunes and family photos on it, not to mention work...

I recently went digital.

Bought a Sonos Play 3 and Western Digital My Book Live 2TB.

Be very careful when choosing as My Book and My Book Live are two completely different products!

My Book will simply connect to your PC.

My Book Live has an ethernet port so will connect into your wireless router - ideal for streaming to mobile Sonos or laptop.

Just waiting for the Chromecast UK release and then the TV will be connected!

These are ok for media etc but if you have absolute need for faultless daily backup for work etc you should look higher end.

What is your max price range ?

TCIB said:
These are ok for media etc but if you have absolute need for faultless daily backup for work etc you should look higher end.

What is your max price range ?

From his op looks like he just needs as a media hub.

I bought a dns 320 <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/share/network-attached-storage/dns-320-2-bay-sharecenter-network-storage-enclosure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutio ... -enclosure</a>
ages ago and though cheap it was the best bit of kit for the money in the house.

ftp/torrentseedbox/mediaserver/itunesserver.

On the other hand if you only want it for streaming media across your own network, windows 7-8 does it reasonably well (i'm told). so if you have a old pc why not just make your own. dual core processor and about 4 gig of ram combined with a couple of sata hard drives would be more than adequate.

I have a synology 413j - good bit of kit for storing all your movies and TV. But in hindsight I wish I would have bought a cheap mini/micro PC instead that had 3-4 bays for expanded storage. Problem with NAS drives is if you want them to do owt you put them on their arse all the time with their sh!t processors and memory. Sabnzbd struggles big time on the synology. Whereas an expandable micro/mini system won't have the issue. I ended up building my own HTPC and the NAS now is just glorified storage which you pay through the nose for.

I've had a lot of problems with (shitty) NAS drives. As a network drive you would expect it to be accessed from more than one device, but for mine if you do that, they become extremely slow or crash and disconnect. Not enough memory for buffering, slow processors and shitty firmware... I should of just used pc as a file server rather than wasting money on them... If you only expect one pc reading and writing to it at a time you should be good with relatively cheap ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.