Nastasić

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should happen today.

imo a very very good piece of business. I've watched this lad a few times and he's already a very good player at Serie A level. I imagine Bob and co will help him develop and improve even further. He has been watched by a host of CL clubs. At 19 we could get many many years of service from him.

If Savic ends up going in the other direction, then that's even better. Savic may well be a good player but we'll never know - his confidence was clearly shattered following a couple of big early errors and he never recovered from it. A shame as that can't be easy for any young player playing under such a spotlight.

Hopefully Savic can 'start again' in Serie A and regain his early promise. I wish him all the best.

BlueForever123 said:
Telegraph online saying "just" work permit to sort out before official announcement.
oh bollocks thats us fucked then! gill is on the comittee isnt he?

Here's the article if anyone wants it

Manchester City 'agree £12m fee for Fiorentina defender Matija Nastasic'
Manchester City must secure a work permit for Fiorentina defender Matija Nastasic before completing a £12m deal for the Serbia international.

Image 1 of 2
Heading in: Fiorentina's Matija Nastasic is reported to be heading to Manchester City Photo: EPA

Talks between Manchester City officials and the Italian club have progressed well, with the 19-year-old understood to be close to finalising terms over a move to the Etihad Stadium.
The transfer will see Montenegro defender Stefan Savic move to the Serie A club as part of the deal.
But City will be forced to wait for the green light from the Department of Employment on Nastasic’s work permit before rubber-stamping the transfer.
Despite his youth, Nastasic has already broken into Serbia’s senior team and is rated as the long-term successor in the national team to Manchester United centre-half Nemanja Vidic, who retired from the international scene last October.
And while securing a work permit is expected to be a formality on the grounds of Nastasic being regarded as a an exceptional prospect, City have yet to be granted the necessary paperwork to complete the deal.

BlueForever123 said:
Here's the article if anyone wants it

Manchester City 'agree £12m fee for Fiorentina defender Matija Nastasic'
Manchester City must secure a work permit for Fiorentina defender Matija Nastasic before completing a £12m deal for the Serbia international.

Image 1 of 2
Heading in: Fiorentina's Matija Nastasic is reported to be heading to Manchester City Photo: EPA

Talks between Manchester City officials and the Italian club have progressed well, with the 19-year-old understood to be close to finalising terms over a move to the Etihad Stadium.
The transfer will see Montenegro defender Stefan Savic move to the Serie A club as part of the deal.
But City will be forced to wait for the green light from the Department of Employment on Nastasic’s work permit before rubber-stamping the transfer.
Despite his youth, Nastasic has already broken into Serbia’s senior team and is rated as the long-term successor in the national team to Manchester United centre-half Nemanja Vidic, who retired from the international scene last October.
And while securing a work permit is expected to be a formality on the grounds of Nastasic being regarded as a an exceptional prospect, City have yet to be granted the necessary paperwork to complete the deal.

For once, I expect this to be a formality.

Stoned Rose said:
Should happen today.

imo a very very good piece of business. I've watched this lad a few times and he's already a very good player at Serie A level. I imagine Bob and co will help him develop and improve even further.

The thing is he will need game time more than anything else in order to develop and become the great defender many foresees him to be.
Will he get that time here with us? Surely not he isn't already the second best CB at the club? So he will hopefully get a good run in domestic cup games, as I hope many other squad or "reserve" players will.

Stoned Rose said:
Should happen today.

imo a very very good piece of business. I've watched this lad a few times and he's already a very good player at Serie A level. I imagine Bob and co will help him develop and improve even further. He has been watched by a host of CL clubs. At 19 we could get many many years of service from him.

If Savic ends up going in the other direction, then that's even better. Savic may well be a good player but we'll never know - his confidence was clearly shattered following a couple of big early errors and he never recovered from it. A shame as that can't be easy for any young player playing under such a spotlight.

Hopefully Savic can 'start again' in Serie A and regain his early promise. I wish him all the best.

A good and balanced post, avoiding all the unecessary abuse most posters on here usually direct towards Savic

BringBackSwales said:
Stoned Rose said:
Should happen today.

A good and balanced post, avoiding all the unecessary abuse most posters on here usually direct towards Savic

Thank fuck he's gone.

Kompany is King said:
Apologies if this has been shared already. ESPN FC Blog posted by James Horncastle.

What might City expect from Nastasic?

"I wish ..." Matija Nastasic said. The reporter from Il Corriere dello Sport had just revealed he'd been told that the 19-year-old Fiorentina center back was "the next Nemanja Vidic."

"My career has only just begun," Nastasic continued. "I still have a long way to go. I hope that within a few years' time I will be able to answer 'yes,' that I am his heir."

Manchester City supporters will no doubt hold the same aspiration once Nastasic completes his expected move to the Etihad in exchange for a reported fee of 12 million pounds (plus Stefan Savic) on Wednesday. If he realizes his considerable potential, City would have one less thing to envy rival Manchester United for in the future.

Nastasic was a revelation in Serie A last season. City's recruitment department was no doubt already aware of that fact, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't be of any surprise at all were it to emerge that he'd been recommended to manager Roberto Mancini by his trusted former teammate and assistant Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Signed from Partizan Belgrade like fellow Fio star Stevan Jovetic, Mihajlovic helped launch Nastasic at Fiorentina. He already considered the youngster "a very strong player" and liked his attitude so much so that even though his job was in jeopardy at the time, he promised him experience and used him as a second-half substitute on three occasions in the early part of the campaign.

"If I manage to stay, I will make him play," Mihajlovic said. Those were famous last words, as he was sacked the next day after a 1-0 defeat to Chievo. But that didn't mean the end of Nastasic's progress. Far from it. With fellow center back Cesare Natali suspended and Per Kroldrup injured, Fiorentina was short at the back for its next match, the visit of reigning champion AC Milan.

New coach Delio Rossi threw Nastasic in at the deep end. His job on his first start for Fiorentina was as daunting as they come, charged with marking Serie A's best player at the time, Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Unfazed, Nastasic handled his illustrious opponent much to the wonder of everyone watching, displaying a maturity beyond his years. Fiorentina kept a clean sheet in a 0-0 draw.

no_source / Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images
Nastasic thrived amid a chaotic season at Fiorentina, with managerial changes and a relegation battle failing to ruffle his composed defending.

"A little star is born," La Gazzetta dello Sport wrote. In the same report, the pink paper noted that Fiorentina's current head of scouting Eduardo Macia had first tried to sign Nastasic four years earlier at Liverpool. His intuition proved right. Nastasic went on and quickly established himself in a league with a tradition for producing top defenders.

From the Milan game onward, Nastasic was among the first names on the team sheet at Fiorentina, making 21 starting appearances. Nastasic represented one of the few positives in what was a negative season, as the club finished 13th in Serie A.

While everyone else appeared to lose their heads -- including coach Rossi, who was fired in May with Fiorentina fighting to remain in Serie A after he appeared to strike his player Adem Ljajic after a sarcastic response to being substituted against Novara -- Nastasic managed to keep his wits about him and showed admirable composure. "I never let anxiety get to me," he told Il Corriere dello Sport. "I am a calm footballer. I try not to lose patience. Those are fundamental qualities in my position."

It's his unflappable nature, in addition to his strength in the tackle and in the air, that defines Nastasic. He doesn't panic. The step-up to full international level after representing Serbia’s under-17, under-19 and under-21s did not seem to unnerve him. In his debut in a friendly with Cyprus in the spring, Nastasic made a crucial goal-line clearance, settled things down and ensured the team kept a clean sheet in a 0-0 draw. Now that Mihajlovic has the senior job, the expectation is he will become a regular for the team during qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, providing, of course, he is playing consistently at club level.

So where might Nastasic fit in at City? Would he be cover for Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott, or would he offer Mancini something more than a backup? One of the directions City has indicated it's headed in is the use of a back three.

"To add that other string to the bow," Mancini's assistant David Platt explained, "we had to have a good look at it from more of an offensive point of view, where we would have the wide center halves coming out and playing with the ball rather than staying narrow, and we are getting the wing backs high."

Nastasic slots into that way of thinking. He played on the left side of a three-man defense last season with Fiorentina and started the new campaign in that same position in a 2-1 win at home to Udinese this past weekend. Perhaps this role may await him at City, too. At the very least, he would give Mancini the option to continue his experiments with a 3-5-2 either as a first-choice system or as an alternative during the team's title defense.

Whether he’s the next Vidic or not, only time will tell, but from what Nastasic has shown so far, City is soon to get its hands on a player of real promise.

Those comments made by Nastasic at the start of the post, where he modestly distances himself from the comparisons with Vidic, were made some time ago when he turned down joining Utd. Snubbed is the word I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.