Nations League

Fair enough mate,....serious question,do you think southern based fans have more of an affiliation to the national team than other fans ?
That’s a good question - me personally, they had the chance to build the national stadium in Birmingham - the centre of the country where its accessible and fair for every English supporter.
They decided to keep it in London for Londoners.
Due to this i’ve lost interest in them, maybe it would have been different if they built it more neutral.
Due to this my football allegiances are 100% City - that is just my own personal opinion

Not sure why everybody is desperate for Grealish, we are not having any dominant possession and he isn’t going to get the opportunity to create anything. We’ve got 10 men the plan is clear as day, long balls forward and set pieces. Yes it’s dull but it’s the right call as soon as slab head gets sent off.

I knew somebody would post that ;-). That’s up to them... not interested in them

Never knew this but here you go

Why does the England football team play in white shirts, socks, and blue shorts?
Because of the press.
As we know, the first match between England at Scotland took place on 5th March 1872 at Hamilton Crescent, Partick, Glasgow.
All the Scottish players in that match wore the uniforms their club played in. The entire Scottish team played for Queen’s Park who, at the time, played in navy blue shirts.
As for England, the FA supplied a set of white jerseys for the players. As for why it was white, it’s possible that they were cricket tops or just that they were a contrast to the navy the Scots would be playing in. The players wore the knickerbockers and stockings they wore for their clubs.
After that single match, England abandoned the white shirts and the players wore their club kits with the FA badge sewn on the front. A lot of them didn’t remove the badge when playing for their clubs as it was seen as something to be proud of.
After a match against Wales (who wore white until 1885) on 18th January 1879, the press were critical of the appearance of the English side. England regularly had XIs consisting of players from up to 9 different clubs, so you can see why.
Anyway, in 1879 the FA purchased a set of collared white shirts from Messrs Gann, Root & Co. Only shirts, players still wore the knickers and stockings of their club. They got the shirts from the same company until they went out of business in 1882.
It was in 1882 that the FA first provided knickerbockers for players. These were navy blue at first, but they also supplied white knickers. There wasn’t consistency, though, as both colours would be worn at the same time. This scenario remained until at least 1897 when navy became the standard, although players had to provide their own at this point.
It wasn’t until 1930 that the FA started providing socks. Up to that point, players would wear their club stockings/socks. I wouldn’t mind seeing a return to players wearing their club socks, but it’s against the rules nowadays.
Anyway, in 1930 the FA provided players with navy blue socks. Navy socks were the main choice until 1957, with red sometimes worn. In 1957, red socks became standard, with navy blue and white making appearances when red would clash. White shorts would also be worn when navy would clash.
The first time England would ever wear white/navy/white was against France on 27th November 1957. The 2nd time was against Spain on 26th October 1960, then Scotland on 15th April 1961, Mexico on 10th May 1961, and Portugal on 25th October 1961.
From May 1962 white/navy/white became the standard England kit and it would remain that way, barring the 1970 World Cup (where they went white/white/white because of the heat in Mexico) until 2009, with white shorts making appeances in the event of a clash.
In 2009, England went all-white unless there was a clash, when they reverted to navy. They then returned to navy shorts in 2010, but went back to white in 2012 with a change of shorts to red as opposed to navy. I suppose this was because all the trimmings on the kit were red.
2013 saw a return to navy shorts, but 2016 saw them play in white/white/red for the first time since 1989. 2018 saw a return to white/navy/white and, given the performance at the 2018 World Cup, I’d imagine it’s here to stay. Or not because replicas have to be sold.
So the reason England wore white shirts initially is possibly because of cricket. The reason England wear white nowadays is because of the press. As for navy shorts, they were less common in the domestic game than white, which meant navy shorts meant you were representing your country. White socks is because… I don’t know, there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the navy socks they’d worn previously.

Imagine each player wearing club socks

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.