NDJ,Garci,Rodwell and RVP

SWP...Legend said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Maybe we didn't 'let' the rags get RVP, but he chose to go to the rags over us?

Exactly. De Jong was adequately replaced with Garcia and our GD is near enough on par with United. The problem is that we didn´t buy a decent winger / CM aka Yaya who can drive.

De Jong wasn't replaced adequately.

Paul11/12 said:
For the last 40 years i've been defending players, saying give him time,he gives 100% or wait till next year.
This season we were defending champions, with more money to spend than anybody else in the world (if we chose). I know we had to evolve, but as far as I can see the reason we are so far behind(when we should be so far ahead) this year is down to 2 things, not replacing NDJ(Garcia/Rodwell, do me a favour) and letting the rags get RVP!

Thoughts please.

Your argument fails before it even begins with that sentence. Why can't people get into their heads that we can't just keep throwing money at this?

Paul11/12 said:
For the last 40 years i've been defending players, saying give him time,he gives 100% or wait till next year.
This season we were defending champions, with more money to spend than anybody else in the world (if we chose). I know we had to evolve, but as far as I can see the reason we are so far behind(when we should be so far ahead) this year is down to 2 things, not replacing NDJ(Garcia/Rodwell, do me a favour) and letting the rags get RVP!

Thoughts please.
I'll start with van Persie: after the end to the season Tévez had last year and him coming back seemingly like a new man, plus the Euros Mario had, plus Guidetti coming back from a great season with Feyenoord and us already having Džeko and Agüero...did anyone in the world last Summer think we needed another striker? We can't just stock pile players because we don't want United to sign them. If they hadn't signed him they would just have signed someone else of top quality anyway; it was time for them to buy a top level striker.

Besides he's hardly involved in much of United's play, he just sticks the ball in the net. They, as a team, are creating those chances for him (he's not exactly Messi, creating his own goals out of nothing for himself, is he?). They lost the title last season on goal difference with a squad full of injuries - with us hardly having any - and this year they are much healthier all-round. It's not just because van Persie is playing for them that they're top of the league. They would have signed someone of top quality anyway, if it weren't him, and would be creating these chances for whomever that would be and that player would be scoring goals for the team at the top too.

It's only now we're looking back in hindsight and seeing that Mario has not followed on from his Euro performances, Edin is not quite a top level player, Tévez and Kun aren't quite firing the goals in, and Guidetti not being quite ready for the first team; that we think "oh shit we should have signed van Persie"...because last Summer we had great striker options.

And even if we had tried to sign van Persie, who's to say he would have wanted to sign for us? United are much more established than we are and he was guaranteed a starting place there. After all Mario's Euros, Tévez coming back like a new signing, and title winning Džeko and Kun; van Persie could quite conceivably looked at City and thought "will I even play?!", and gone ahead and signed for United anyway.

Plus, we did try to replace de Jong. But in a toss up between one of the world's leading clubs for nearly half a century and some club from some average city (in big European city terms) who are only just starting out on their journey to the top (I'm talking about us, and Manchester); who is Javi Martínez going to sign for? Well it would be Bayern München, every time. Then we're competing with a player who plays for a club he supports like one of us would play for City; so what is Daniele Di Rossi going to do? He's going to stay at Roma, without question.

Sometimes players just don't want to sign for a club and you can't have a stock piling of players at a club.

Bazzmand Show said:
SWP...Legend said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Maybe we didn't 'let' the rags get RVP, but he chose to go to the rags over us?

Exactly. De Jong was adequately replaced with Garcia and our GD is near enough on par with United. The problem is that we didn´t buy a decent winger / CM aka Yaya who can drive.

De Jong wasn't replaced adequately.
De Jong had lost his starting place and Garcia is a better player. De Jong was the master of the tackle, but didn't offer much else.

When can we put this to bed?

With regards to RVP - he didn't want to come. as far as I'm aware we spoke to him first so if he wanted to come then he would have done. and as said, I think the competition he faced here as opposed to the rags was a major factor too.

NDJ wasn't happy with his role. he wanted to play first team football regularly and that was something we couldn't offer him. yes we have been weakened as a result but that to a certain extent was out of our hands. We had no choice but to find a replacement, and in RM's eyes it seems the best available at the time was Garcia. He may not have taken to the PL like a duck to water but he's getting better with every game imo, and once fully settled could be a more than adequate replacement. The jury's out on Rodwell as we've not seen much of him

de niro said:
Mostly agree, we should have kicked on and as champions had the clout to do so. Mismanaged the summer window terribly.
That said rvp was never coming here, he had a straight choice, city and rotate and compete with tevaz/aguero etc or a guaranteed spot at an ailing utd with only a fat granny shagger for competition. At 29 he has to go the latter. Injured or not he may still end up potless.

Agree with this. We dont miss De Jong one bit but Van persie is the difference with us and them. Having said that we will win the league.

To be honest none of us really know why we did not sign RVP.There are so many different stories flying about.We had to balance the books,there is no way we could accommodate 5 big name strikers on our books.

In an ideal world we would have took the £40 000 000 offered for Balotelli when his stock was good after the Euros,RVP would be here and we would be 10 points clear and the RAGS would be mid-table.

It is easy to look at thinks retrospectively though.

I loved Nige but realised early last season that we were moving on from his style of play because basically he's very limited. Garcia is a more rounded footballer, good in the air, can pass and keep the game flowing. Last night was a perfect example, ask yourself (De Jong fans) what would Nige have given the team that we apparently according to some lacked? To my mind we played well last night, we had plenty of the ball, so need for De Jong there. We driven forward by Barry and Milner, not always successfully but in the same breathe nothing De Jong could have improved us on. Last night was down to missing two key players and the forwards again not putting away the limited chances that were created. Like I said De Jong, love the guy but our midfielders have to do more than just win the ball back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.