Need a bloody good weed killer

Blue Maverick

We have a big problem in the garden this stuff looks like little Xmas trees and seems to be thriving, even pushing through 4 layers of weed suppression material. What’s the strongest best weed killer I can get?

It's called mare's tail and you will never get rid of it. You can control it to a certain extent by digging it up but it will just come back. Had it in my allotment.

It's horrible stuff, got it in my garden ...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=257

Whatever you do, DON'T chop it up, it can re-seed itself in the soil. The root system is upto 2 metres below ground, so can't really be dug out. I just go round pulling them out of the ground as they appear. I've put weed suppressant fabric and stones/gravel down in the worst areas, because if you have a flowerbed, it just grows everywhere. Apparently the best way to get rid is about this time of year by 'bruising' the weed first then spraying with a suitable weed killer but this could damage other plants as well, of course.

https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/tips-and-advice_how-to-control-horsetail

Last edited:
Give Roundup a try mate and it will succumb to regular treatment.Get the five litre spray bottle with built in pump for £20 and then buy the concentrated litre bottle to make additional potions in the reusable five litre spray bottle.I think the concentrate bottle makes around 25 spray litres so very cost effective @£16 a litre.I mixed at double the recommended dose as the Japanese were well dug in.I left half the knotweed for a visual treat as they have beautiful heart shaped leaves and the other half I showed no quarter in order to view the babbling brook below.I am under no illusion that some tentrals will still remain but if they have the audacity to show their heads next spring I will be the last thing they will ever see.Some rumours surfacing on Glyphosate and cancer so do use gloves and avoid spraying in windy conditions.Give the horsetail a good rake before treatment to allow it to penetrate down into the root system.

Last edited:
We have a big problem in the garden this stuff looks like little Xmas trees and seems to be thriving, even pushing through 4 layers of weed suppression material. What’s the strongest best weed killer I can get?
Drill a hole in it and pour diesel in. That should do it.

It's called mare's tail and you will never get rid of it. You can control it to a certain extent by digging it up but it will just come back. Had it in my allotment.
This is true, Two years my neighbour has been battling with it and he's no further forward. It's a fuckin nightmare. He gets his lawns cut off a gardener every week and that's the only way to keep it under control.

My cousin (whos into gardening told me about some stuff) its called Gallup 360, you have to get it on the internet. I think its the stuff that pro's use, it was a farmer who told him. I tried it this year and it kills anything, mix it 20 to 1. And then wait a week, plus it will last you years.

This is true, Two years my neighbour has been battling with it and he's no further forward. It's a fuckin nightmare. He gets his lawns cut off a gardener every week and that's the only way to keep it under control.
It grows underground and under fences, so if you're bordering your neighbour, you'll likely see it soon, too. That's my problem, the neighbour has left her garden to the weeds so no amount of control I do will eradicate it fully. It's even gone twenty feet under the lawn to the patio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.