New band The stereotechs

syedorf

<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/iirfHokhuNQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/iirfHokhuNQ</a>
One of their original songs its my pals kids band they are only sixteen but went to see them last night and was pretty impressed.

Do think they should change their name to "Stereotech" - just a bit snappier and sounds even less like "The Stereophonics" when it rolls off the tongue.

As for the track, enjoyed the jazz influences running about the place and for a group of young boys their approach to writing love songs is mature. Thought how the drums gathered presence was a great touch and a nice show of potential songwriting creativity.

Needs to be a little quirkier and alternative for my liking, maybe add a fourth member on guitar so they can branch out a little - but that's just me, I can imagine a lot of people enjoying this and buying it.

Tell them all to keep it up and keep plugging. Getting even a little bit famous as a band is hard work.

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
Do think they should change their name to "Stereotech" - just a bit snappier and sounds even less like "The Stereophonics" when it rolls off the tongue.

As for the track, enjoyed the jazz influences running about the place and for a group of young boys their approach to writing love songs is mature. Thought how the drums gathered presence was a great touch and a nice show of potential songwriting creativity.

Needs to be a little quirkier and alternative for my liking, maybe add a fourth member on guitar so they can branch out a little - but that's just me, I can imagine a lot of people enjoying this and buying it.

Tell them all to keep it up and keep plugging. Getting even a little bit famous as a band is hard work.
Yeah I thought pretty much the same about the name and the extra member.They did a 2 hour set last night and there wasn't a wrong note some of their other stuff sounds a bit ska like.I really enjoyed the show last night and hope they do well because like you say its hard work to get even a little bit of notice I can imagine

Pleasant enough, if a bit formulaic and predictable - a bit like a boyband doing a Red Hot Chili Peppers 'introspective' album filler ballad after they stopped being funky and good around Blood Sugar Sex magic.
I agree with Bob - it needs a transfusion, as it kind of tails off into Coldpuke territory after a while, and becomes forgettable.
They need to listen to something with a rawer edge, and lose the niceness.
But good luck to 'em - at least they're having a go.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Pleasant enough, if a bit formulaic and predictable - a bit like a boyband doing a Red Hot Chili Peppers 'introspective' album filler ballad after they stopped being funky and good around Blood Sugar Sex magic.
I agree with Bob - it needs a transfusion, as it kind of tails off into Coldpuke territory after a while, and becomes forgettable.
Yeah the song I put up is a bit old now they won some recording time at thameside college when they went to an open day. Some of the new stuff they did last night is a bit more dirtier than the old stuff but its not up yet so I couldn't put it up .PS could you recommend any bands to listen to to suit them . their sound is a bit ska like I thought a bit more upbeat etc

I've had a listen to another one of their original tracks, 'Cupid's Twisted Joke'. Leaving aside "the friendzone" line which really showed their age, it just felt a little too pleasant.

If they're not doing already, get them listening to James Blake's singer/songwriter stuff and bits of Radiohead's Amnesiac. Not saying they should sound exactly like the two of them mixed together, but they're both fantastic examples of where piano-based music can go when played by people with big ideas.

Then again, that might just not be what The Stereotechs are looking to do. If they just want to do piano pop with jazz influences then that's fine by me, but when I was listening to their two original tracks it just felt like they needed that little something more to take it away from sounding like The Script. Having the drums increase in volume and presence is a nice touch, but the possibilities go far beyond that.

Good luck to them, though. That "Drum & Bass Solo" sounded much more interesting. It reminded me of Holy Fuck in places.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEri6K8iIk[/video]

syedorf said:
Yeah the song I put up is a bit old now they won some recording time at thameside college when they went to an open day. Some of the new stuff they did last night is a bit more dirtier than the old stuff but its not up yet so I couldn't put it up .PS could you recommend any bands to listen to to suit them . their sound is a bit ska like I thought a bit more upbeat etc

Always loathe to recommend bands to folk, as I think we all have to find our own influences, but Pavement, Grandaddy, The National, The Hold Steady, Wilco, The Triffids may be a starting point, as they can all write decent songs with a slightly more upbeat and cutting edge feel.
Or go the whole hog and listen to nothing but The Birthday Party, Sonic Youth and Lydia Lunch for a week, then see what transpires.
Possibly a nervous breakdown, but it will certainly influence them one way or another.

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
I've had a listen to another one of their original tracks, 'Cupid's Twisted Joke'. Leaving aside "the friendzone" line which really showed their age, it just felt a little too pleasant.

If they're not doing already, get them listening to James Blake's singer/songwriter stuff and bits of Radiohead's Amnesiac. Not saying they should sound exactly like the two of them mixed together, but they're both fantastic examples of where piano-based music can go when played by people with big ideas.

Then again, that might just not be what The Stereotechs are looking to do. If they just want to do piano pop with jazz influences then that's fine by me, but when I was listening to their two original tracks it just felt like they needed that little something more to take it away from sounding like The Script. Having the drums increase in volume and presence is a nice touch, but the possibilities go far beyond that.

Good luck to them, though. That "Drum & Bass Solo" sounded much more interesting. It reminded me of Holy Fuck in places.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEri6K8iIk[/video]
Thanks for the opinion I will have a pass it on and judging by last night they are definitely moving away from the softer sound but not going rock its hard to describe I will be try and get some videos of my pal off last night and put them up

syedorf said:

Always loathe to recommend bands to folk, as I think we all have to find our own influences, but Pavement, Grandaddy, The National, The Hold Steady, Wilco, The Triffids may be a starting point, as they can all write decent songs with a slightly more upbeat and cutting edge feel.
Or go the whole hog and listen to nothing but The Birthday Party, Sonic Youth and Lydia Lunch for a week, then see what transpires.
Possibly a nervous breakdown, but it will certainly influence them one way or another.
Cheers I will do some CDs for him and see what happens lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.