New Book "Who said City couldn't play!"

Nealy said:
Big Swifty said:
I bought the book and it is a fascinating glimpse of football back in the thirties, with names stirring memories of the dim and distant past. Nealy wrote me a nice covering letter with the book, which was delivered promptly.
However, could I respectfully suggest that some proof-reading be undertaken before publication of any further books? I see from the reproduction of the back cover (pictured several posts earlier) that Peter Doherty's name is spelt as "Docherty" (as in "Tommy"!). In the Arsenal v City game team line-ups, one City player's name (Bobby Marshall) and three Arsenal players' names (Leslie Compton, Jack Crayston & Ray Bowden) are mis-spelt. McLeod is often rendered as "McLoed". Players from a number of other teams also have their names incorrectly spelt.
I don't want to sound critical of a most interesting book, or like a pedantic nit-picker, but perhaps it's something worth considering, as it detracts from the real fascination of the book, leaves the work open to concerns about authenticity, and should not be too difficult to carry out.

I hope this is seen as constructive comment.

Thanks for your comments Big Swifty and I take them in the spirit given. I'm pleased you found it a fascinating read, despite the errors which you have identified above. I apologise for those and am sorry it detracted somewhat from your enjoyment of the book.

The initial print run for WSCCP was a small one and I know you have one of those copies. It was proof read, by a friend who did it as a favour and therein was my error. After that initial print run, the book has been professionally proof read and the problems you mention have been ironed out.

As for authenticity, I believe, the book sticks to the facts of the season in its entirety.

Best wishes,
Phil

I know when I read a book and there are errors, I get a little annoyed.... but having written a few books, it is very hard to get it spot on.... I must have proof read ''Teenage Kicks'' at least 4 times, maybe 5, as did at least two other people and on reading the actual book I picked out 38 errors (mostly typos) but I have an email I sent to the publisher listing at least half of those before the book was sent off and they didn't correct them. Then they change my writing ''1st Division'' to First Division by changing every 1st to First automatically. So a date in the book, 1st May became First May.
It is a frustrating life being an author lol

Thanks for reply, Phil. I know that not everything comes out correctly when the final version appears - I proof-read a book for the late Magnus Magnusson, and even he had made a number of errors (of fact) that I had to correct!

It is as well that you are to use a professional proof-reader in any future publications. (Should you do another print-run of WSCCP, I would gladly point out any errors besides those I mentioned in my original post.)

Big Swifty said:
Thanks for reply, Phil. I know that not everything comes out correctly when the final version appears - I proof-read a book for the late Magnus Magnusson, and even he had made a number of errors (of fact) that I had to correct!

It is as well that you are to use a professional proof-reader in any future publications. (Should you do another print-run of WSCCP, I would gladly point out any errors besides those I mentioned in my original post.)

Cheers Big Swifty, I'll take you up on your offer thanks. I'll pm you, if that's ok.

Yes, that's OK, but I'm not a professional proof-reader, although I could identify a few errors in WSCCP should it reappear - I don't want to make overblown claims about my powers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.