New Career

CityFan94

Basicially I'm stuck in a dead end job at the moment and I need some advice.

I left school at 18 and started working in a call centre for money. I'm now 21 and I still work in the same place. It's OK money, but I don't want to work in a call centre my whole career, it's depressing. But I haven't got an apprenticeship or anything to really fall back on. I just feel like I'm stuck here, I want a career. It gets me really down when I feel I'm stuck here almost to the point of depression.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and able to offer any advice? Moving into a new career in your 20s from nothing.

Seriously, join the army for a few years...minimum is 4 years service, you'll have a top laugh and it will take you away from home.

Does your company offer NVQs or other qualifications that might be transferable - maybe to a related but different field?

If so, could be worth doing and then moving on. I don't mean immediately - that would be taking the piss - but you're not tied to working there for ever.

I have mates in their mid 20's who still don't know what they're gonna do in life. Don't panic. Think about your interests/talents and try looking for jobs in those areas (don't quit your job until you have another lined up). Even though you don't have experience in certain fields, you're young and if you come across as very enthusiastic and easy to get along with then you have a chance of getting a placement somewhere.

It's never too late to go to uni/start an apprenticeship. Better making a big decision while your young then to wait and be regretful later down the track.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and able to offer any advice? Moving into a new career in your 20s from nothing.
A career change at 21 isn't unknown. And remember you aren't doing it from "nothing"; you have 3 years experience of going to work. It may not sound like a qualification but it shows some form of commitment.

Basicially I'm stuck in a dead end job at the moment and I need some advice.

I left school at 18 and started working in a call centre for money. I'm now 21 and I still work in the same place. It's OK money, but I don't want to work in a call centre my whole career, it's depressing. But I haven't got an apprenticeship or anything to really fall back on. I just feel like I'm stuck here, I want a career. It gets me really down when I feel I'm stuck here almost to the point of depression.

Is it simply just an autonomous call centre or another department within an entire company? If so, are there no opportunities for you to progress within the company? More and more places are beginning to develop staff to ensure they don't lose them elsewhere. Chances are you'll know how the company does things which makes you a better candidate for a role than a new applicant. Also, a supervisor will be able to vouch for you.

I guess it depends what kind of career you want. What do you enjoy doing? I want to write which is why I took very part time creative writing courses from level entry through to something more advanced. I'm now bouncing around ideas like open university, an access degree course and, lo and behold, more part time courses.

Career change at 21?!?! You have you whole life ahead of you mate - find something you enjoy doing and do it. If you do something you enjoy for work you will never work a day in your life, and if you can set up to work for yourself even better. Best to do it young before you have all kind of commitments that can tie you to a job that just pays. Good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.