New CL Format Thoughts | After GW2 (pg13) | GW3 (pg33)

It’s too early to tell for me. We had zero jeopardy in the group phase of the old system and probably zero in this.

Once we’re 5 or 6 games in and the league has taken shape, then I’ll get a feel for how the new system is working.

Goal difference is the only element that doesn’t sit right as teams don’t play the same teams. How you’d differentiate teams on the same points otherwise would be hard though. Maybe on the average coefficient ranking of the teams that you’ve played?
When one of the favoured teams gets knocked out on goal difference, they'll think of a way to change it

Yeah, probably, although it’s pretty hard not to qualify for any of them. Maybe finishing 9th and having the extra round.

I can see a world where they move to 4 groups of 9 teams, still 8 matches, still 4 away 4 home but at least everyone in the group has played the same teams. Narratives are easier to build as well.

I know that then means 9 gameweeks with 1 rest but I can see that being the direction they go in.

It’s a hell of a lot of extra games solely to eliminate the 12 worst teams, 4 of which previously would not have been in the competition, and in truth aren’t needed now!
Yes spot on, we all know why extra teams and games were added. There is whole lot of cannon fodder who are getting humiliated in 8 games instead of the normal 6, how is that helping them?

I think they've duped us again. Telling us that we had meaningless matches and this would remedy that. Lets face it, its a mass dilution of the CL format so the bigger (Now struggling teams) can still go further, with more games, into the competition. Whilst at the same time preparing us for a euro league in future.

Thats my thoughts on why they would come up with such a convoluted format that boggles the mind and needs a computer to do the draw. They are always doing things through the back door.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.