New CL proposals: “Swiss system” favoured by clubs

Its all about more revenue, but its the clubs that are driving it (including City). If anything the threat is to break away from UEFA because the big clubs don't want to share "their" income with the like of Red Star Belgrade, Celtic, Olympiacos.

As soon as the Premier League clubs are confident they will not be worse off overall (a reduction of PL games means they'll lose PL income), they'll be in full support of any changes.

I don't know the process behind reducing the teams in the PL, but I can't imagine that being something that would be agreed by any club not consistently in the CL.

I can't imagine many fans would be happy seeing their team play the same European opponents every year, with a reduced PL, an abolished League Cup etc. They might get more money initially, but if fans don't want to watch it, then they wont be getting vast sums from broadcasting deals for very long.

The CL viewing figures are already down, so they think adding more non knockout games will make it more exciting? Not a chance. The viewing figures might get boost initially but after novelty figures will slump even more.

When they added the second group stage 20 years or so ago, viewing figures slumped so they scrapped it.

I don't know the process behind reducing the teams in the PL, but I can't imagine that being something that would be agreed by any club not consistently in the CL.

I can't imagine many fans would be happy seeing their team play the same European opponents every year, with a reduced PL, an abolished League Cup etc. They might get more money initially, but if fans don't want to watch it, then they wont be getting vast sums from broadcasting deals for very long.
I'm dead against it. Its already shit playing Shakhtar every year to then face the prospect of Napoli, Lyon, Dortmund or Madrid. If we get through that maybe we'll play an English side, Bayern or Barca. The main reason Zagreb was a good trip was because it was new and unusual, and most of the better trips have been in the Europa League.

People (not me) will watch it if its City v Juve, Real v Barca, Liverpool v Bayern every week. TV audiences wont watch City v Shakhtar in the group stages anymore. They're trying to bin off clubs which view qualifying for the Champions League as an achievement.

Change needs to happen, but this isn't the necessary change. Too many clubs from the big leagues qualify automatically (26 out of the 32 group stage teams are known in May). There needs to be more jeopardy, and more teams from outside the big 5 leagues. This can be achieved by more knockout games and less group stage, but it seems as though the clubs are pushing to go the other way as they will be guaranteed more money that way.

If this gets brought in I'll stop going - greed is killing the game.

I'm dead against it. Its already shit playing Shakhtar every year to then face the prospect of Napoli, Lyon, Dortmund or Madrid. If we get through that maybe we'll play an English side, Bayern or Barca. The main reason Zagreb was a good trip was because it was new and unusual, and most of the better trips have been in the Europa League.

People (not me) will watch it if its City v Juve, Real v Barca, Liverpool v Bayern every week. TV audiences wont watch City v Shakhtar in the group stages anymore. They're trying to bin off clubs which view qualifying for the Champions League as an achievement.

Change needs to happen, but this isn't the necessary change. Too many clubs from the big leagues qualify automatically (26 out of the 32 group stage teams are known in May). There needs to be more jeopardy, and more teams from outside the big 5 leagues. This can be achieved by more knockout games and less group stage, but it seems as though the clubs are pushing to go the other way as they will be guaranteed more money that way.

If this gets brought in I'll stop going - greed is killing the game.

Yeah, I have always said more teams from the 'lesser' countries need to be involved in the group stages.... however that isn't attractive to the sponsors. Teams from these countries struggle to qualify as they only have a handful of places available to them, but have to win 2,3,4 qualifying rounds to get in. As each year goes by, it becomes harder, as all the money generated is going to the same teams every season. Is the CL really suffering because teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, AC Milan are not qualifying every year? Instead of trying something radical which only benefits the big '10' teams every year (including us), why not just change the qualifying criteria, so it is freshened up by having the possibility of different teams. Look, I love City being in the CL, but it has already lost a lot of the magic, we qualify every year, and the sense of achievement in qualifying is diminished by having 3rd and 4th placed teams involved..... and we play Shakhtar every fucking year.

Great idea , add more non-deserving teams into the equasion, and bore the arses of everybody for longer.

Chamions League and hangers on Cup ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.