New Handball Rule

I'm With Stupid

Leagues can choose to use the new handball law when the season resumes, football's lawmaking body says.

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) wrote to the four British football associations on Tuesday to confirm the approved changes to the laws of the game for 2020-21.

The "T-shirt line" or armpit - essentially where the sleeve on a T-shirt ends - will become a key marker on the player's body for match officials, with anything below that being handball.

Story

So welcome to everyone's new kit for next year then:

cameroon-2002-afcon.jpg

Unless the shirt colour is blue, in that case it is the whole of the area covered by the shirt can be classed as handball.

That's a stupid rule because the t shirt line will vary depending on if th eplayer has their arm down, up or to the side.
Will also vary depending on how muscular the player is.
What about players who wear long sleeves?

That's a stupid rule because the t shirt line will vary depending on if th eplayer has their arm down, up or to the side.
Will also vary depending on how muscular the player is.
What about players who wear long sleeves?
They mean the top of the sleeve (where it joins the shoulder), not the bottom!

And I'm sure they're expecting referees to use a figurative line rather than a literal one. They must do because some shirts don't even have this seam (including our current home and away, although the 3rd does).

So, the judgement line will be around the players armpit/shoulder, even if he's wearing a shirt 2 sizes too big for him where the actual shoulder seam is halfway down his bicep.

Last edited:
If they dispensed with the handball rule entirely we'd still be penalised! I cannot see a scrap of sense in changing a law midway through a season, if we get to see the other half! Teams have been penalised for a handball offence and now, depending on where the ball touches, they won't, or will they? Another FICKFUFA cock-up that our FArce and PL will now doubt adopt and tell us that we are at the cutting edge of law enforcement!

Kit manufacturers will simply alter their design to ensure that this rule is confused. They simply don’t think these things through.
Just like certain boot manufacturers producing grass coloured boots to beat the stupid VAR offside rule.

Just change it to the point of the elbow, I don't really care about top of the arm handballs, they're rarely deliberate enough to worry about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.