New iMac

• Thread starter manchester blue
  • Start date
Laptop components on a desktop, no tah. That thing'll be a giant heat sink. Apple are increasingly making their products virtually un-repairable, so if you need to replace or upgrade a component other than the RAM, you're pretty much screwed and you're more likely to break it while trying to fix it. If you're after it for user experience, just build a hackintosh for cheaper. It's not as hard as you'd think as long as you follow a how-to guide. Or I'm sure one of our fellow Bluemoon nerds would help out ;)

Bluemoon1993 said:
Laptop components on a desktop, no tah. That thing'll be a giant heat sink. Apple are increasingly making their products virtually un-repairable, so if you need to replace or upgrade a component other than the RAM, you're pretty much screwed and you're more likely to break it while trying to fix it. If you're after it for user experience, just build a hackintosh for cheaper. It's not as hard as you'd think as long as you follow a how-to guide. Or I'm sure one of our fellow Bluemoon nerds would help out ;)

I've been using mac for about 8 years and never had to replace or upgrade a component.

loui_mcfc said:
Mark - TheBlue said:
Looks nice my nerdy side wants to see what I could build on a budget of that Imac though.

Build your own computer? Seriously?
The most fun you can have with a screwdriver for sure. I do it every 3 year or so. They're never cheap though as I tend to select top quality components only - much better than in any prefabricated box as they tend to use slower RAM, noisier fans, weaker power units and so on. Things only geeks would care about for sure. Guess I could build a pretty hefty machine for the price of that iMac. Wouldn't look that good though, and I guess that means a lot for many people.

Gelsons Dad said:
Bluemoon1993 said:

I've been using mac for about 8 years and never had to replace or upgrade a component.

Computer components have a natural life span that varies with use, you seem to be quite lucky with regard to the lifespan of your Mac but eventually at least one component would die. It's not just about the repair-ability either, Macs are getting harder to recycle. Apple make some really nice stuff, but their policy of 'fixing' faulty products is just to replace it completely kind of puts me off.

Bluemoon1993 said:
Computer components have a natural life span that varies with use, you seem to be quite lucky with regard to the lifespan of your Mac but eventually at least one component would die. It's not just about the repair-ability either, Macs are getting harder to recycle. Apple make some really nice stuff, but their policy of 'fixing' faulty products is just to replace it completely kind of puts me off.
Lost cause, trust me. He's also an Apple shareholder so he's completely biased when it comes to all matters Apple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.