New iMac

• Thread starter manchester blue
  • Start date
Bluemoon1993 said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Bluemoon1993 said:
Laptop components on a desktop, no tah. That thing'll be a giant heat sink. Apple are increasingly making their products virtually un-repairable, so if you need to replace or upgrade a component other than the RAM, you're pretty much screwed and you're more likely to break it while trying to fix it. If you're after it for user experience, just build a hackintosh for cheaper. It's not as hard as you'd think as long as you follow a how-to guide. Or I'm sure one of our fellow Bluemoon nerds would help out ;)

I've been using mac for about 8 years and never had to replace or upgrade a component.

Computer components have a natural life span that varies with use, you seem to be quite lucky with regard to the lifespan of your Mac but eventually at least one component would die. It's not just about the repair-ability either, Macs are getting harder to recycle. Apple make some really nice stuff, but their policy of 'fixing' faulty products is just to replace it completely kind of puts me off.

I've been lucky as well. 7 years out of a MacBook without a single problem. (still in good working order) and just upgraded to a MacBook Pro.

I'd have probably gone through at least a couple of Windows machines in that time.

Like most things in this life, usually, you get what you pay for.

Had my iMac for 3 years.. Love it. If you git the cash go and get one.. Try to get a bit of discount through education. Maybe your daughter school may help or a friend who is a teacher..

I ain't got the cash but wouldn't mind trading mine in and getting my hands on one of those new models..

Go for it...

Macs are generally about even with the better PC manufacturers for reliability:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/Computer-Reliability-Report-2012.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-rel ... -2012.aspx</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Squa ... y_1109.pdf</a>

They are not magical products. Steve Jobs may have convinced you otherwise but they use the same components as PCs. Only through good industrial design can they improve reliability but the better PC manufacturers also do that. Hence, they are about even in terms of reliability.

Davs 19 said:
Bluemoon1993 said:
Gelsons Dad said:
I've been using mac for about 8 years and never had to replace or upgrade a component.

Computer components have a natural life span that varies with use, you seem to be quite lucky with regard to the lifespan of your Mac but eventually at least one component would die. It's not just about the repair-ability either, Macs are getting harder to recycle. Apple make some really nice stuff, but their policy of 'fixing' faulty products is just to replace it completely kind of puts me off.

I've been lucky as well. 7 years out of a MacBook without a single problem. (still in good working order) and just upgraded to a MacBook Pro.

I'd have probably gone through at least a couple of Windows machines in that time.

Like most things in this life, usually, you get what you pay for.

Obviously you'd want to get the most life you can out of a machine like that, but what I really don't get is the mentality behind the people who have say last year's MacBook Pro, yet buy the latest iteration to the tune of £1000 plus for a relatively small increase in performance. I have a mate that did exactly this because he 'fancied an upgrade'. It's the throwaway culture that really gets on my tits.

The new iMac looks nice, bit disappointed they have taken the DVD drive out.

My current iMac is only a year old and I tend to get 3 years out of them until I consider a change.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.