New Kitchen advice

we went to IKEA and Howdens, we were warned away from Wren as the uptick in price (inc. fitting) is not reflected in the quality (that was 2 people telling me)

IKEA was cheap, no doubt, but two things we got held up on: 1) the quality wasnt really that good and 2) the fitter was not keen at all b'cos if something breaks, something is missing etc, and you dont live near IKEA then you get delays and more delays (there are ALWAYS delays, you dont want more).

We went with Howdens, who busted a gut to price match with IKEA (they ended up ~15% over) and the lass was extremely helpful with the kitchen design. One thing that further concerned me about IKEA was that the Howdens designers were a bit shocked at what the IKEA designer had reckoned could be done. Now that it's fitted i am inclined to agree; i cannot see how IKEA's was remotely possible and it was quoted up and ready to buy, i dread to think what problems that would have caused down the line. We were on a treadmill at IKEA, a queue of people waiting for designs so i cant see how the real thought can be given - was really handy to see it on paper though :D. our Howdens is decent quality without being amazing, happy with it.
We have a utility room fitted out with Howdens. We were impressed by them. They originally provided a wrong quote to our builder who had included it in a contract we had agreed to. Instead of making a fuss, they stood by it which cost them over £1000. The cabinets were of good quality and still look like the day they were fitted. We found them helpful and reliable in all dealings.

Buying a new kitchen. Anyone able to provide some advice in respect to the best way to do this? Not sure whether to buy a kitchen from Wren (or similar type of company) and ask them to also do the fitting etc. Or just buy the kitchen only and then get a fitter from mybuilder (or similar) and ask them to fit it.
Choose very carefully. We have had three kitchens fitted in our married life. Two were amongst the most stressful things I have been through. Both were with companies who also fitted, Magnet and MFI now defunct. I would far rather get a good reliable builder who has references/ good word of mouth from people you trust. And get him to fit cabinets. We have used Howdens and found them very good and reliable and with good quality stuff. Good luck mate.

Did mine last year had a local company come out and we sorted the design between us.
Then went into their showroom and chose units work tops etc. Sourced my own cooker/fridge etc and they fitted it all. Based in Middleton so not sure if local to you Vincent.
What's the company called ?

Just get a couple of kitchen designers out to design your room, tell them your getting a few different companies around. When you find your best design, just go and order the carcasses end panels doors and appliances yourself. I did this, and built all the flat pack cupboards etc, hung the wall cabinets fitted all the doors. I did have a joiner come around for half a day to cut and join the work top, he charged me 50 quid cash. Once you make the first carcass flat pack, the rest get easier and quicker. I did the whole kitchen, plus laminate flooring in 3 days.

I'm looking for a good kitchen fitter. Anyone know someone who might be interested in the job?

I presume your wife does have an account on here and that is why you are posting ?

Did all the usual suspects, Wren, Howdens, B&Q etc, was was never convinced by any of them. Ended up going with an independent firm who were maybe 20 % more expensive, but were happy to put up with my Mrs chopping and changing her specifications.

Five years down the line, the kitchen still looks good as new. The old adage " Buy cheap, buy twice" certainly is true when it comes to kitchens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.