New Mac Pro

Do you know anyone in education? If they have a qualifying email adress from a college or uni look at the Edu store.

I’ve also bought from Tech in the Basket who seem to discount some lines.

I’ve recently upgraded my iMac from 21.5 inch to the 28 inch. I’m not loving it as I’ve gone from whisper quiet operation to annoying fan and hard drive noise. Nothing major but annoys me. Pretty standard from what I’ve seen which is disappointing.

Is there any way you could upgrade to an SSD they are cheap as chips nowadays bud? The one thing I have noticed about MACs is that they run silent.

Is there any way you could upgrade to an SSD they are cheap as chips nowadays bud? The one thing I have noticed about MACs is that they run silent.

It is SSD. It’s not overly noisy but in a quiet environment the fan noise and drive noise is noticeable where it wasn’t on my previous model. Others don’t notice it but because my previous one was silent I notice it.

Edit, it's a fusion drive so I will look into SSD upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it mainly for software updates. Certain Adobe programs can be a bit temperamental when it comes to updating so I occasionally have to dip into the registry. You can also use it to force Windows updates. Just type 'regedit' into the Windows search bar and you're in. Enter with caution though as you can do some serious damage if you don't know what you are doing.

I also use config manager to turn on/off services at start up, and computer management for log files and resource management.

Like you say though, 99% of users never need go anywhere near it.

Sorry, when I said "what do you do" I meant as a job, I know what the registry is, I use it often in work, but at home on the home network (2 pcs and a server) I've never needed to touch it and can't see why a 'normal' user would. It certainly wouldn't be the thing that stopped me from buying a windows machine

Just to put it out there, the thing that bothers me so much about Apple is the cost and that the unit (Whichever you buy) has a shorter lifespan where the machine will work competently, obviously designed that way so users would pop in and buy another Mac product when they are nearing obsolescence.

They are notorious for slowing their products down with updates.

As I said above mate, I am no Apple fanboy, and I agree somewhat with what you say. But not entirely. My 2012 27" i7 iMac still performs admirably, and OK it's no gaming monster (understatement!) but for general use - surfing, creating PowerPoints, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop work etc - it's absolutely fine. I don't know why I binned it really. It still runs latest macOs and gets all the security updates etc.

So not bad for an 8 year old computer? Which incidentally cost circa £2,300 IIRC when I bought it. When you add up the component costs as well, it wasn't really that expensive compared to a PC at the time.

Where Apple REALLY sting you - and the reason I finally dumped them - is if you want to put higher end components into a more basic system. Either you cannot do it at all - because they just don't offer what you want. Or often the costs are completely ludicrous. I mean for example +£600 to upgrade to 32GB from the standard 8GB? Or £500 for a 5700XT upgrade? Come off it Apple.

But today for a base 27" iMac with 3.8 GHz (5 GHz boost) 8-core i9 processor and a 5k screen? £2,300 is not terrible. By comparison I built my new PC and with the bits I put in it, (OK including top end components, such as a Ryzen 3950x and a 2080 Ti and a very good monitor) it cost me £4,457 just for the parts.

Last edited:
Do you know anyone in education? If they have a qualifying email adress from a college or uni look at the Edu store.

I’ve also bought from Tech in the Basket who seem to discount some lines.

I’ve recently upgraded my iMac from 21.5 inch to the 28 inch. I’m not loving it as I’ve gone from whisper quiet operation to annoying fan and hard drive noise. Nothing major but annoys me. Pretty standard from what I’ve seen which is disappointing.
Are they still using hard drives in 2020?

Sorry, when I said "what do you do" I meant as a job, I know what the registry is, I use it often in work, but at home on the home network (2 pcs and a server) I've never needed to touch it and can't see why a 'normal' user would. It certainly wouldn't be the thing that stopped me from buying a windows machine
I don't work as an IT professional, but I do carry out security auditing of Windows systems as part of my job. In the past I have also administered a Linux server network to control test equipment.

I class myself s a normal home user, and I've had to dip into the registry on a few occasions to sort out software update issues (mainly Adobe) , but I agree, most users won't need to go anywhere near it.

I don't work as an IT professional, but I do carry out security auditing of Windows systems as part of my job. In the past I have also administered a Linux server network to control test equipment.

I class myself s a normal home user, and I've had to dip into the registry on a few occasions to sort out software update issues (mainly Adobe) , but I agree, most users won't need to go anywhere near it.

I've just remembered one reason my home users might need to edit registry files...it's one word, but it's the worst. Bloated, hangs around forever, worse than an STD...

NORTON!

I've just remembered one reason my home users might need to edit registry files...it's one word, but it's the worst. Bloated, hangs around forever, worse than an STD...

NORTON!
*SHUDDER*

I had Norton on an old laptop years ago. It was pre installed, so even a system reset wouldn't shift it. After hours of of internet searches and playing about in the registry (backing up the registry every step of the way) I finally managed to shift it.

Are they still using hard drives in 2020?

Hybrid drives are faster than mechanical drives but a lot slower than SSD's, Apple are cheaping out using them unless they are being used as secondary storage. Imagine paying 1000's for a product and the manufacturer putting slow hardware inside to save a few quid.

Bump
I'm looking for a new laptop and want to go with an Apple, I really like the 27" screen but they're no longer in production. Being the luddite that I am I really know nothing about computers.
Has anyone any advice or experience on refurbished computers or should I just stick with a new 24" one?
Thanks for any help

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.