New Partnership - Citi Group

I still hope some big sponsor will come this summer. Something that gives us 20m per year or more. Maybe Nike improves their deal but not much rumours on this. Have a feeling that lot of recent smaller deals arent bringing much in. I think we have lots of it only around 0.5-1m deals. Which can add up and better than nothing for sure but we should be looking to get some real big ones as well.

Anything on the naming rights of various parts of new Etihad Campus?

Your post was right. Better to spread the revenue over a few smaller sponsorships than one bigger one.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. I appreciate the risk is spread if one sponsor decides to pull out, you are covered by having relationships with many others. But Sorriano actually says in his book that it is better to have two huge sponsors than lots of little ones. The reason he gives is that it costs the same amount in terms of management time in negotiating a £2m contract as it does a £50m contract. Also by having less sponsors, you can demand a higher premium.

At Barca the main sponsorship was with Nike, their only real competitor for the contract was from adidas, so like any good negotiator, he was played them off against each other. Similarly with Qatar Airways, because no one had ever had their name on Barca's shirts, they could demand a huge premium for the privilege.

I guess The Shite have set the benchmark by having an official noodle partner, they've shown how having a huge number of sponsors can work. But it can go the other way, take a club like Leeds who have got 50 different sponsors, it can start to look a bit desperate and cheapen your brand. Of course we need to increase sponsorship revenues as much as possible, but I don't think it's necessarily true to always think the more the merrier.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. I appreciate the risk is spread if one sponsor decides to pull out, you are covered by having relationships with many others. But Sorriano actually says in his book that it is better to have two huge sponsors than lots of little ones. The reason he gives is that it costs the same amount in terms of management time in negotiating a £2m contract as it does a £50m contract. Also by having less sponsors, you can demand a higher premium.

At Barca the main sponsorship was with Nike, their only real competitor for the contract was from adidas, so like any good negotiator, he was played them off against each other. Similarly with Qatar Airways, because no one had ever had their name on Barca's shirts, they could demand a huge premium for the privilege.

I guess The Shite have set the benchmark by having an official noodle partner, they've shown how having a huge number of sponsors can work. But it can go the other way, take a club like Leeds who have got 50 different sponsors, it can start to look a bit desperate and cheapen your brand. Of course we need to increase sponsorship revenues as much as possible, but I don't think it's necessarily true to always think the more the merrier.

In an ideal world we would have several large contracts for different sectors each one spreading the risk of downturn. Our situation is not yet that lucrative.
I have to assume Mr Sorriano will soon be able to carry out his own advice, until then.....

Good point Shaelumstash but in football there's only a limited number of entities that get the exposure that a large sponsor would be interested in. Primarily that's the shirt and the stadium of course. The rags managed to expand that to the training kit and training ground of course but very few others would get away with that. We'll no doubt do something for the CFA but there's little else we could stick a sponsor name on for decent money.

Plus we're hardly likely to play Etihad off against Qatar Airways are we?

Good point Shaelumstash but in football there's only a limited number of entities that get the exposure that a large sponsor would be interested in. Primarily that's the shirt and the stadium of course. The rags managed to expand that to the training kit and training ground of course but very few others would get away with that. We'll no doubt do something for the CFA but there's little else we could stick a sponsor name on for decent money.

Plus we're hardly likely to play Etihad off against Qatar Airways are we?

Haha! You're quite right about the Etihad deal! It's a difficult one that, because it's not exactly a standard deal.

I suppose the point I was making is more applicable to the Nike deal than anything else. I appreciate we are not yet on the commercial level of the 4 financial powerhouse clubs. On a world scale we are probably not even in the next tier down with clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, possibly the Milan clubs etc. Before people throw our commercial income relative to those teams at me, look at our Nike deal in comparison with these other clubs kit deals. We've been very clever with a lot of our sponsorship deals, like Etihad, Nissan and Citi Bank in exerting our owners influence to get great deals, but with kit manufacturers we can't do that. All we can achieve is market rate, and the market suggests the exposure our brand gives to Nike is worth £12m a year to them. In comparison, adidas are paying the shite £75m. We've got a long way to go.

Now you look at the dozen or so sponsors we have singed up over the last 2 years. Think of the time, money and effort that has gone in to securing all of those deals. Think of the ongoing relationship management with those clients. Think of the time our players have to spend shaking hands and posing for pictures with those 10 companies. Let's say those 10 companies bring in £15m in sponsorship revenue between them. For all of the management time it has taken to secure that £15m, The Shite increased their kit deal by £40m a season! That's one client, one negotiation.

Put it another way - we could have just not bought the hapless Fernando for £15m and got Alex Song on loan who's a better player. While every little helps, the £15m we have brought in with 10 deals is not a great deal in the overall scheme of things. As I said, the £12m from Nike is the market value as that's what the market is currently willing to pay. But I can't help thinking it's undervalued by some considerable distance.

On a slightly separate note, sportswear brands pay for the media exposure you are able to give to their brand. I can't help thinking that having such a dull, drab manager, and such a closed shop media policy, has led to us having an increasingly restricted media exposure in the UK. 5 years ago we were the biggest story in town, nowadays our league title wins aren't even lead stories in the national sports press! As opposed to blaming the "nasty, biased media" maybe we should engage with them more? I'm sure our sponsors, and potential sponsors would take note!

The new stand is a prime opportunity I'd say...

Admittedly, few of us know the details of the Etihad naming deal, but it would feel like a wasted opportunity if the new stand wasn't named, or sponsored / marketed in some way that brought in more revenue (apart from the expected matchday and corporate revenue).

For instance, they COULD have a great play on words with the Citi 'Bank' (where 'bank' is the huge bank of fans).

If we do have any notable increases in sponsorship, then I'd guess any announcement would be tied to the opening of the new stand.

'The Citi Bank' has a nice ring to it. Better than the South Stand.
We've never really had an end for our main support. Always wanted it named after King Colin, then we'd be the "Bell Enders"! But "City Bankers" would do!?

Well our Chairman some time ago claimed that Commercial effort was to be the way forward so perhaps Mr Sorriano's team can interest a major sponsor into taking the same chance with City that the AD based Etihad did, otherwise they might just as well do sponsor courting that at least gives a return on the time and effort they are paid to do.

I am also mindful that BT and Sky have decided the value they can get in advertising revenue by massively increasing their bids so our sponsors surely have the same exposure opportunity unless they disagree with the TV money valuation ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.