New router

Cityisland

Hi all,

I live rural and the internet speeds are gash. Not able to get fibre in the area and we get 23mbps on a good day. Sky are the provider.

6 of us live in the house- one room on the other side of the house gets very inconsistent coverage. Happens to be my mother in law's lounge and she gets very vocal at times of outage.

For the sake of peace- is anyone technically minded enough to advise whether purchasing a new router would improve coverage and my mood?

Hi all,

I live rural and the internet speeds are gash. Not able to get fibre in the area and we get 23mbps on a good day. Sky are the provider.

6 of us live in the house- one room on the other side of the house gets very inconsistent coverage. Happens to be my mother in law's lounge and she gets very vocal at times of outage.

For the sake of peace- is anyone technically minded enough to advise whether purchasing a new router would improve coverage and my mood?

It's possible.

What you'd be better doing is buying some homeplugs - that way your MIL can hardwire her devices in, or if they are wireless devices, you could put a wireless access point there to sort her right out.

Hi all,

There's various ways (and costs) to extend the WiFi coverage ranging from relocating the router to a more central location to a full mesh WiFi setup which involves multiple WiFi repeaters. Is the first option possible?

By the way, ADSL2+ broadband is a maximum of 24Mbps and unless you live in the exchange itself, it would be unlikely that you'd hit 23Mbps. No WiFi 'fix' will change your maximum speed of course and having 6 people (plus any other devices) using it at the same time will always cause congestion.

Hi all,

Some decent info on improving your internet connection here https://www.broadband.co.uk/guides/rural-broadband/

As has been mentioned 6 people all using a 24mbps at the same time will be problematic, just extending the wifi may fix connecting to the internet but will probably not improve speeds.

If you've got 4G in the area then that's the simplest option. It will give speeds of the order 100mbps but will be expensive and capped. Also tends to have more service interruption. I would try approaching Sky (or any provider really) to see if another line can be installed to another part of the house and then put 3 on each. Could be expensive to set up and obviously it would be 2 monthly bills but that's the price of living somewhere nice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.