Newcastle United (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

We've got a couple of weeks off & we're taking the break, not playing money-spinning friendlies abroad.

Pep complains about the ridiculous amount of games our players are expected to compete in. If we'd arranged friendlies during this break, he'd be a hypocrite, but he's embracing the break & we saw the rise in our physicality against Newcastle as a result of only playing one game per week this year so far.

In years gone by we'd have played on New Years' Day, then in the FA Cup, then had a PL match, then a Caraboa Cup semi, then another FA Cup match & another PL match in January alone.

Enough is enough.

That's for the players to decide not for the perennial question to be lodged and forgotten about by fans and some managers who don't like it up 'em. Successful teams play more matches that goes with the territory.

Just how do you force millionaire footballers to play more than they want to? I see footballers breaking a bollock to get ready to play internationally sometimes at the expense of the clubs that pay their wages.

If the players didn't like it then they'd do something about it, we're not talking about mill workers here.

What he was alluding to was the amount of non stop football he's played over the years without a break.

Albeit he was injured, there wasn't much he could do outside of getting himself fit, so he enjoyed his brain break & the physical rest as he built up his fitness.

People don't realise the level of physical & mental fatigue top sportspeople endure to remain at the apex of their chosen discipline.

Kev looks totally refreshed & invigorated, albeit lacking full match sharpness. As he said, he felt it physically, but he rose above that because of his mental will to win.

The football authorities just aren't listening. In the drive for more money, they're increasing the amount of top level games they want players to compete in, whilst putting onerous squad restrictions on all clubs in the pursuit of FFP to protect the hegemony of the elite clubs.

Something has to give, because the amount of pointless games in today's football is beyond ridiculous. Why can't mid-season International breaks be combined into end of season mini tournaments?

What's the point in the Nations League? Why expand the World Cup, Champions League & Club World Cup? It's all about the greed of the games governing bodies, & player welfare doesn't come into it.
He's also, from what anyone can gather, a dedicated family man who enjoys watching other sports. Sounds to me that he made a conscious decision early in the injury to enjoy getting to spend a bit more time with the kids.

That's for the players to decide not for the perennial question to be lodged and forgotten about by fans and some managers who don't like it up 'em. Successful teams play more matches that goes with the territory.

Just how do you force millionaire footballers to play more than they want to? I see footballers breaking a bollock to get ready to play internationally sometimes at the expense of the clubs that pay their wages.

If the players didn't like it then they'd do something about it, we're not talking about mill workers here.
Agreed that players have the ultimate control over this, but can you imagine players picking & choosing which games they want to play in at club level?

I 100% agree about international football. I've never seen the lure of it if you're a perennial CL player, but top players have pride in playing for their countries & because clubs are duty bound to release players called up, it's ultimately down to the players.

However, look at what happened to David Bentley when he withdrew from the England squad citing fatigue? The whole fuckin country wanted him tried, hung drawn & quartered for treason.

Agreed that players have the ultimate control over this, buy can you imagine players picking & choosing which games they want to play in at club level?

I 100% agree about international football. I've never seen the lure of it if you're a perennial CL player, but top players have pride in playing for their countries & because clubs are duty bound to release players called up, it's ultimately down to the players.

However, look at what happened to David Bentley when he withdrew from the England squad citing fatigue? The whole fuckin country wanted him tried, hung drawn & quartered for treason.

There are new competitions being touted so that more money can be made, wages will go up and then players will play more games.

You're right that we would get more quality from refreshed well managed players but they are in it for the money IMHO, and why not?

Millionaire footballers who accept huge wages to play a sport we would love to play and have the power to say no I have little to no sympathy for, however if they stuck their heads out of their fancy cars and tried to do the right thing I would support them.

*boasting, tongue in cheek time*
I hope those who watched Pep’s interview after the game heard him utter the words I write every game!!?? ‘They fight to the end’. He’s been listening to me!! *lol*
I suspect you are his secret lover and he is repeating pillow talk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.