News Of The World at it again ?

Even the two good reports in the Sunday Times were spoilt by the journo saying that the City fans were calling Adebayor "one greedy bastard" and "that's why you're substitute" when he was warming up. It was Sturridge you moron.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

A quick guide to journo-speak

A City insider = somebody in the office that once went to a City match
A source close to the club = somebody that know's (roughly) where Manchester is
A well placed source = he sits at the next desk
A club official = the recorded message on ticket line

"A City insider said..."

Right...so tell us what your uncle's postman's nephew's best mate's ITK City friend said then.

Tripe!

Also in Today's news of the world...

Article by Gary Lineker.
IT WAS a magnificent day for Roberto Mancini and Manchester City.

But, frankly, beating Chelsea doesn't change a thing.

City are in joint second place this morning before Manchester United play Bolton. Yet a place in the top four at the end of September doesn't mean anything.

They have got to be in the same position at the end of the season for Mancini to keep his job.

They were on the edge of the top four when Mark Hughes was sacked and if they had kept him they probably would have made it.

Sparky had started to edge out the bad guys, the team was coming together and they had lost only one League game. It was ludicrous.

The new manager came in, you had the usual spurt, then it petered out towards the end.

They made their big mistake with the loss of Hughes. He is a very sensible head and commands a certain amount of respect with his presence.

He wasn't taking any nonsense from a few of the players and was easing them out.

He was getting the players he wanted. I don't think he would have gone into the summer and bought another six, seven, eight players.

Mark would probably have spotted just a couple of areas where they needed to strengthen. That might have prevented some of the problems they now have with this huge squad.

Yesterday's win against Chelsea - a very disappointing Chelsea, I have to say - certainly takes some of the pressure off Mancini.

I come back to the fact Mancini cannot afford to allow this to be a one-off. City have to build on it.

They played with greater spirit than I have seen before.

There was a togetherness, when previously Manchester City had looked like a bunch of individuals.

They also played with a bit of passion. Vincent Kompany was excellent. He was played in midfield for a long while but he looks much better at centre-half.

Carlos Tevez worked very hard and got the goal. He made something out of nothing, which is what you need in tight games like that. It was a terrific effort.

James Milner, Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong, Yaya Toure - I thought they all did well.

They really stifled Chelsea's midfield.

Maybe City played so well because it was a big game and in front of their home crowd.

The bigger tests for them are going to be away from home.

They always have a big crowd behind them at Eastlands and you expect them to do well there.

They are yet to show that they can do it consistently on their travels. Dressing rooms are happy places when you are winning. Even if you are losing but you have good pros, they will keep on playing.

But if you are disliked by a lot of players and it starts to go wrong, it accelerates the process. I'm not saying Mancini is not liked by all his players.

It may just be the ones who are not being picked. I still think he has a big job on his hands keeping such a large squad of players happy.

And my opinion remains that City's owners made a big mistake sacking Hughes. If the manager had been hopeless and they were mid-table, not looking like they were going anywhere, fair enough - get rid of him and get someone good.

They had someone good but they did not realise it. The owners have set themselves a dangerous precedent by sacking Hughes.

The Champions League is a tough competition to reach.

It's not a given they are going to make it, even with the squad they have. Do they have a better squad, better players than Tottenham? I'm not sure. Out of the half dozen players they have brought in, the chances are only half will be a success.

In many ways, yesterday's result, good as it was, was just the minimum requirement. Come November or December, if they are not in and around that area, Mancini will be on the rack again.

But at least beating the champions so well relieves a bit of the pressure and will allow him to concentrate on his job. For a while, at least.

m27 said:
Lineker's article borders on the insane.

Crisp eating cock.
Yes. Why he, and just as importantly the notw, think it's still news worthy to rake over the rights and wrongs of Hughes' sacking, something that every man and his dog had their say on over the weeks and months after it happened, is beyond me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.