NHS personalised medicine

KS55

There has been much talk in recent years of personalised medicine. In the last couple of weeks I have undergone six procedures at four different venues: two NHS hospitals, one private hospital, and an NHS outreach facility. Some of these procedures were quite complex requiring several doctors and technicians each plus of course the ubiquitous nurses. I have been pushed, pummelled, injected, photographed, scanned and x-rayed.
I had never met any of the people before, but only in the private hospital did anyone tell me their name and role. This was most disconcerting. I asked one guy directly if he was the radiologist for that procedure. “No” he said and carried on painting my abdomen.
Not very personalised. Are they meant to tell you who they are?
Anyone else as put out as me, or am I being precious?
Note: results suggest I am already dead, but I can walk a bit now!
PS I have to say that technically, they all did very well.

There has been much talk in recent years of personalised medicine. In the last couple of weeks I have undergone six procedures at four different venues: two NHS hospitals, one private hospital, and an NHS outreach facility. Some of these procedures were quite complex requiring several doctors and technicians each plus of course the ubiquitous nurses. I have been pushed, pummelled, injected, photographed, scanned and x-rayed.
I had never met any of the people before, but only in the private hospital did anyone tell me their name and role. This was most disconcerting. I asked one guy directly if he was the radiologist for that procedure. “No” he said and carried on painting my abdomen.
As long as none of them were called Crippen no need to worry!

Soft skills are sadly lacking in a lot of people these days.

They could probably send you the details in a text, or an IM...

Do you need to know their names and what they do ? No, they are caring for you and thousands of others , telling every patient their names and roles is not practical, a lot have name badges on or you can just ask them their name if you really want to know

Do you need to know their names and what they do ? No, they are caring for you and thousands of others , telling every patient their names and roles is not practical, a lot have name badges on or you can just ask them their name if you really want to know
I never did business without introducing myself and my counter parties always did the same.
They are in the health business, so…
If you are lying on the table with 5,6,7 people surrounding you, it helps if they tell you what the procedure is and who is going to do what. The guy who scanned me, including the insertion of a dye never spoke a word from beginning to end. In the forty minutes it took, presumably he didn’t have time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.