Niall Quinn commentating on City

He's the reason I'm a City fan. Being Irish, I idolised him. I got to meet him in 1990 when City played Shelbourne and that was the day I became a City fan.

Did city do a preseason tour of Ireland in 1990 and 1991?

My first city match was vs Limerick in '91 and I also seen them vs Bohemians in the same year too.

My dad worked with the chairman of one of the supporters clubs here in the north. He knew Redmond and Hendry and we went back to the hotel where the team was staying after the Bohemians match. They were all sat drinking in the bar, Jack Charlton was there as well puffing away on a huge cigar.

Quinn appeared later and as a 10 year old meeting your absolute hero was mind blowing. I was obsessed with him while he was at city, especially as he was Irish also.

As another poster said, his first commentary match of city he couldn't have said a better word about us. But something sticks in my memory about rags and other supporters giving off about his apparent bias and probably why he tries to be a bit more critical. Although I sometimes hear some of his comments during a match and think what the fuck are you on about?

Loved him as a player hate him and how he commentates on us
Stick to Sunderland that's his team now
You "hate him". Get a grip. Or maybe he did something to you and your family that we're unaware of - if so, I'd be interested in the story to explain your level of invective. Hate, a strong sentiment. Very strong. But go ahead, explain...

I'm one of the first people to say we should not want a Paddy Crerand(or pick any scouse idiot pundit) but Quinn is very disingenuous with everything he says. He's very media savvy and carries the same falseness in front of a camera that Stuart Pearce does.

I wouldnt say he hates City, but just the man that he is will try to appease everyone in the room and come across as completely false for doing so.
agreed. think the term media savvy sums him up,pretty much.

I idolised him in the early 90's and remember being dumbstruck when I ended up stood next to him waiting to get into a restaurant in a holiday park. I think my feelings changed during that 5-0 defeat to the rags when the cameras caught him having a joke with Pallister. Then he moved to Sunderland, which was fine enough, but he seemed to fall in the love with the place and end up as the chairman. Then this commentary business, I know Sinclair is on the BBC, but surely he can adopt that sort of pro-city approach with Sky? If it is a case of they won't let him then he is rich enough to tell them to stuff it (as I am sure Summerbee would!)

Footballing heroes come and go but when they don't respect the fans or show (not say in a false way) support back it is not right. Changing clubs makes no difference at all, you can still show support to both teams.

You "hate him". Get a grip. Or maybe he did something to you and your family that we're unaware of - if so, I'd be interested in the story to explain your level of invective. Hate, a strong sentiment. Very strong. But go ahead, explain...

Perhaps slightly the wrong choice of words apologies, however in my defence I also mentioned that I loved him , which clearly I don't .love and hate are commonly two words used together to convey feelings .
To clarify if he did do something to my family I certainly wouldn't post or explain it on here or to you .

Thanks

Went out for a pint with him the night before the home Derby last season, firstly one of the most genuine blokes i have met, had nothing but praise for our owner and the investment put into the club and surrounding area. Still has a soft spot for the club, but also has a great fondness for both Sunderland and Arsenal. Told me he calls it as he sees it, doesn't want to go down the route of other pundits who see no wrong in a club they are associated with. Told me that something wasn't right at the club in terms of players having respect for the manager at the time and they were on easy street. Top bloke and an excellent player for us.

I met him when I was younger,at Platt Lane training ground,very down to earth,talked and signed autograph,top fella,but when his strike partner Rosler turned up,he epitomised what I thought of arrogant Germans,he did not change my mind,very cocky,but not as much for me to dislike him,just never one of my favs from that day on.

Must admit though Quinny talks shit at times.and you wouldn't think he used to play for us

An idol of mine from a team of idols including White.
Any criticism I've ever heard him say I've heard the same from our own fans, so I don't know what the problem is. If anything it points to Quinn being a fan who gets frustrated like the rest of us do. Refreshing than to hear someone suck up when things are there to be said but would sooner hide than say anything so not to upset people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.