Nick Clegg v Nigel Farage

gordondaviesmoustache said:
mayo31 said:
I see Clegg and his party being destroyed in the next election if Labour get the message out what turn coats they have been. Cameron has already been turning on them. Labour may however decide not to as they themselves may need help to form another coalition govt
Destroyed and yet simultaneously forming a decisive part of the next government. Clegg really is a miracle worker.

The only bearing that duplicitous, opportunistic waste of space will have on the next general election is rendering his party unelectable.
Nobody will touch the Liberal Sellouttwats with a very long and very shitty stick, and they will become the utter irrelevance they always were before Clegg sold them down the Swanee for some flashy Westminster desks and portfolios that amount to fuck all.
There will be no more coalitions, but there will be a prolonged period in the electoral wilderness when Labour win the next contest in a canter.
Every grass roots Liberal I know detests the man with a passion that surpasses even mine, and want him ditched yesterday.

Markt85 said:
I remember Clegg speaking very well before in the elections debate, he could surprise people once again

Never has there been a bigger political cockwomble than Clegg. A European apparatchik to his fingertips. He can safely and financially survive the nonsense that the EU has become. Clegg is all talk, more talk, and then some talk on top of the talk - a career politician who hasn't given a shit for the ordinary would-be voter. Remember THE PLEDGE on student fees? Bloody typical of everything that LibDems concoct. If the choice was a vote for Clegg or a go in a rattlesnake-infested lucky dip I'd choose the latter.

It makes me laugh the abuse that Clegg gets for backing the Tories because he would have got exactly the same abuse for backing Labour (especially led by Gordon Brown) or not backing either party. So he basically he was damned whatever he did.<br /><br />-- Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 am --<br /><br />
Helmet Cole said:
ManCityTom said:
Clegg will destroy the fascist.

But still Clegg is an asshole.

More likely the fascist will destroy the arsehole I'm afraid.

Hopefully it will be Farage's Nick Griffin moment.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
mayo31 said:
I see Clegg and his party being destroyed in the next election if Labour get the message out what turn coats they have been. Cameron has already been turning on them. Labour may however decide not to as they themselves may need help to form another coalition govt
Destroyed and yet simultaneously forming a decisive part of the next government. Clegg really is a miracle worker.

The only bearing that duplicitous, opportunistic waste of space will have on the next general election is rendering his party unelectable.
Nobody will touch the Liberal Sellouttwats with a very long and very shitty stick, and they will become the utter irrelevance they always were before Clegg sold them down the Swanee for some flashy Westminster desks and portfolios that amount to fuck all.
There will be no more coalitions, but there will be a prolonged period in the electoral wilderness when Labour win the next contest in a canter.
Every grass roots Liberal I know detests the man with a passion that surpasses even mine, and want him ditched yesterday.
You are sorely mistaken my friend if you think the next election will be won by Labour at a canter, or even a trot.

Whilst I'm certainly no fan, Osborne has played a blinder (by force of luck, judgement or, in all probability a combination of the two) in terms of the timing of the economic recovery. The economy will continue to go through the gears between now and next May which will militate against any residual dislike of the Tories from enough floating voters to render your prediction to be a triumph of hope over reality.

The whole "sellout" thing does make me chuckle. Clegg said he would gravitate towards the party with the most seats in the event of a hung parliament in 2010 and that's exactly what he did. Maths is sometimes an ineluctable factor in the world of Realpolitik . Of course the pursuit of power played its part, but it would be a pretty ineffectual and, quite frankly, absurd politician who didn't harbour ambitions of influence over policy, especially one so manifestly ambitious as Clegg.

People on the left are still angry with him and I understand the reasons behind that. Incredulity is often a catalyst for opprobrium. It was always assumed by those of a left-leaning persuasion that in the event of a hung parliament the Liberals would side with Labour and all things being equal that is the path of least resistance for the party, myself included. However I still maintain that it was the best decision for the party and for the country that was taken in 2010, especially given how tired the country was with New Labour at the time. A further General Election that year may very well have seen a Tory majority imo.

I believe Labour will gain a number of seats at the next election and possibly overtake the Tories in numbers, but I doubt it will be enough to secure a working majority. If that happens I expect the Libdems to form a....errrr.......progressive alliance with Labour and I also expect most talk of Clegg being a turncoat to magically disappear along with it.

Although possibly not from you, NF ;-)

nijinsky's fetlocks said:

You are sorely mistaken my friend if you think the next election will be won by Labour at a canter, or even a trot.

Whilst I'm certainly no fan, Osborne has played a blinder (by force of luck, judgement or, in all probability a combination of the two) in terms of the timing of the economic recovery. The economy will continue to go through the gears between now and next May which will militate against any residual dislike of the Tories from enough floating voters to render your prediction to be a triumph of hope over reality.

The whole "sellout" thing does make me chuckle. Clegg said he would gravitate towards the paty with the most seats in the event of a hung parliament in 2010 and that's exactly what he did. Maths is sometimes an ineluctable factor. Of course the pursuit of power played its part, but it would be a pretty ineffectual and, quite frankly, absurd politician who didn't harbour ambitions of influence over policy, especially one so manifestly ambitious as Clegg.

People on the left are still angry with him and I understand the reasons behind that. Incredulity is often a catalyst for opprobrium. It was always assumed by those of a left-leaning persuasion that in the event of a hung parliament the Liberals would side with Labour and all things being equal that is the path of least resistance for the party, myself included. However I still maintain that it was the best decision for the party and for the country that was taken in 2010, especially given how tired the country was with New Labour at the time. A further General Election that year may very well have seen a Tory majority imo.

I believe Labour will gain a number of seats at the next election and possibly overtake the Tories in numbers, but I doubt it will be enough to secure a working majority. If that happens I expect the Libdems to form a....errrr.......progressive alliance with Labour and I also expect most talk of Clegg being a turncoat to magically disappear along with it.

Although possibly not from you, NF ;-)

Where do you think Nick Clegg is going to stand in the next general election? I can't see him being particularly popular in his current studenty constituency.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.