Nigel De Jong

LoveCity said:
kippaxwarrior said:
Think that ship has sailed now. He will be 30 next season, i think(and hope) we go for Javi Martínez in the summer. Only 23 and he will end up world class

De Jong only turned 27 in November so isn't that close to 30. Barry has improved in the past two years as an all-around footballer and he is 31 so there is no reason De Jong couldn't. Some midfielders often get shrewder and smarter as they age. To be honest I've seen De Jong make quite a few clever forward passes, they are just infrequent. Is this a confidence thing or is he instructed to keep it simple? The pass to Zaba today was excellent, reminded me of Pirlo's assist for Simone Pepe's overhead kick for Juventus at weekend, if a striker was on the end of that it could have been a goal.

His future might depend on his contract situation more than his talent level. We need a squad (our squad depth is lacking and overrated) and De Jong doesn't seem to have raised a fuss about spending a lot of time on the bench but if he does want higher wages and we don't want to give them, it's his own doing if he leaves.

Good post mate, if you look at Mancini's signings with the exception of Yaya,Pizarro and Vieira all the players when signed are in their mid to low 20's thats why i think if we go for another DM in the summer we would more be looking at someone like Javi Martínez rather than Daniele De Rossi

at last.i've always thought crtricism this season was not warranted.never puts a pass wrong, fights like a terrier and reads play to break down attack brilliantly.in my opinion he should be automatic pick as holding midfield.

To me he has been the key player these past few weeks when Mancini brings him on. The rest of the players trust him and this allows them to push forward in support of Ya Ya. Thought his passing yesterday was spot on and wasnt afraid to push up himself. In my book he will always have an important role to play and will feature for us for many seasons to come.

LoveCity said:
Well played today, he hasn't been as bad as some people have said in general, he's had some impressive games and some average ones. Just like Barry.

blueprint's absence is notable, I'm sure he will come up with some bizarre conspiracy about how De Jong is a disgrace for preventing us from scoring 10 instead of 6.
NDJ must have been talking to blueprint and sabster. How else would he become the player he is?

for me he should definitely stay. if he goes we have no real defensive midfielder, and this would be mad imo.

yes, he is unlikely to be a regular starter, but yesterday proved that he gives us an extra important option.

also, theres no reason why he can't improve his all-round game. look at barry, he moves forward more and passes forward more, no reason why de jong can't improve in this regard.

hes an excellent passer of the ball, has a great work rate, is a world class player at his job, he has to stay.

No questions about Nigel as far as I am concerned. World class. Its back to the issue of squad rotation. Thats life at a club who are challenging for everything whether it is City, Barca, Real or Chelsea and I think Nigel knows and accepts that. Hes a great pro and we should cherish him.

May not be the first name on the team sheet but a very good option to have in the squad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.