No Real Target Man + Better Centre Mids = 4-4-2?

bizzbo said:
bornblueegg said:
Fair post blue.

To be honest, I'm glad RSC didn't come in this window but by the same token I'm more excited about the (slowly) return of the Boj. It'll be like a new signing and do believe he is the target man we've been lacking.

forgive me for being cynical but i said the same thing this time last year and he didnt play at all, and... he aint really a target man

you don't think so, I always thought that was his style. Athletic strong more mobile (!) than caicedo. I'll be honest I base this on a mate from Italy who has watch him over their.

Always willing to admit I'm wrong

I think that our best 442 we could field would look like shown below:

Zab----Kompany--Onuha---Bridge
SWP---De Jong---Ireland---Petrov
-----Bojinov/Bellamy---Robinho----

It is not really an option with our current injuries and hence the only alternative 442 we could field would be:

Zab------Kompany--Onuha---Bridge
SWP-----De Jong---Ireland---Garrido
----------Bellamy---Robinho--------

I really doubt this would work as we don't have 2 classic wingers there and it would be a pretty big switch from what we have been training and playing all season. I also think that Robinho as a left winger is a non starter.

bornblueegg said:
Fair post blue.

To be honest, I'm glad RSC didn't come in this window but by the same token I'm more excited about the (slowly) return of the Boj. It'll be like a new signing and do believe he is the target man we've been lacking.

PLaying along caicedo and/or bellamy looks like a good partnership, I hope.

MH has done his business lets see what they can do

I agree, Hopefully Boj with Belamy in tow could be our target man at least for the rest of the season assuming he stays fit.

I don't know if 442 will work for us, we've loads of quality in midfield yes..

Zab has been amazing in midfield, Ireland is superman, Elano has been working hard, de Jong will be a rock, and we've got SWP and Robinho on each wing. But what happens when Petrov is back next season if he's still the player he was before the injury? Ireland has played on the left for us a few times hasnt he?

............Given
Richards Onuoha Kompany Bridge
SWP.. Zabaleta.. de Jong.. Ireland
............................Robinho
...........Bellamy

Can sub on Elano for Zab or de Jonh if we need more creativity like we did against Stoke, he made a big difference to our chances and I think he's accepted that we're no longer a first XI, but a squad. I think we really need Robinho in a free attacking role to set up goals and to score them, when Petrov comes in he'll definitely get that role but it wont happen this season.

When Bojinov is back, him and Bellamy will be brilliant, Bojinov is a top player as unlucky as he is and we all know it.

We've also got Garrido to take the left wing, if Ireland needs to be more central.

Its all about adjusting, lads! No set formations, we need to change them as situations change, as injurys come and go and as we go up or down goals in matches, like bacon face does.

blueOAP said:

I agree, Hopefully Boj with Belamy in tow could be our target man at least for the rest of the season assuming he stays fit.

Not sure where you are getting the idea that Boj is a target man from - he is 5 foot 10 and my recollection is that he is not particularly good in the air! We need someone good in the air to get on the end of crosses.

We can't play a 4-4-2 with Robinho in it in my opinion. Leaves the midfield too lightweight.

Caciedo needs to step up to the mark and show why we paid all that money for him. He is about the only one with the height (at 6 foot 1) and bulk to be a proper target man.

Of course, we thought we had a target man in Benjani....until we realised that he was useless.

I still can't believe that we appear to have put all our eggs in one basket with RSC. I thought the two key things we needed going into the window were size in midfield and size up front. We got neither which worries me.

We are incredibly vulnerable from set pieces now as we are such a small side, and incredibly unthreatening at the other end. I genuinely can't see what we are going to do away from home short of do what Everton do and try and shut up shop and nick a goal from somewhere. To shut up shop we will need to get rid of some of the flair players from the away side, including Robinho, and just can't see that happening.

i think against the top teams we should play kompany/de jong in the middle of midfield.. We go away from home to open.. and with bellamy up front with more pace than any forward we have had on our books this term,, we will be a good bet to get at least a point..I think robinho's head has began to drop for reasons only he knows,, kaka? leeds nightclub?? too cold? not earning enough??,, so i think he may be rested for some away trips, and would be usefull as a second half sub!! Petrov,johnson,and bojinov would be nice additions to our team around feb at least,, and if they dont regain fitness this term? i think they will have to move on, with petrov being the only exception,, What use are top talents/players if they cant get fit??

bornblueegg said:
Fair post blue.

PLaying along caicedo and/or bellamy looks like a good partnership, I hope.

MH has done his business lets see what they can do
agreed, boj must be close to a return otherwise hughes would have got rsc regardless of fee, glad we did'nt give fat sam a penny.
feel for the lad though, i reckon he has lost his chance, we will go bigger in the summer wether hughes remains or not.
one things for sure we wont pay 18m for him.

mcfc78 said:
i think against the top teams we should play kompany/de jong in the middle of midfield.. We go away from home to open.. and with bellamy up front with more pace than any forward we have had on our books this term,, we will be a good bet to get at least a point..I think robinho's head has began to drop for reasons only he knows,, kaka? leeds nightclub?? too cold? not earning enough??,, so i think he may be rested for some away trips, and would be usefull as a second half sub!! Petrov,johnson,and bojinov would be nice additions to our team around feb at least,, and if they dont regain fitness this term? i think they will have to move on, with petrov being the only exception,, What use are top talents/players if they cant get fit??

The problem with Bellamy up front away from home is that the ball is going to keep coming back just like it did against Stoke (and to some extent against Newcastle). He needs to play with someone who can hold it up. That's why our friend Caciedo needs to show what he is made of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.