"No wonder this country is f**ked"

Didsbury Dave

Is there a more meaningless and ignorant phrase in use today? I hear it all the bloody time, from people who's opinions appear to be formed by the gobshite in the pub or the bigoted woman at the W.I.

This country is not fucked. It's one of the most desireable countries in the world to live in. It's a liberal, stable democracy where you, and I, are free to do pretty much as we want. That's why people from all around the world want to live here. We are a wealthy country with a rich heritage and a vibrant culture. We don't have a nanny state, we don't have significant corruption. WE look after the unfortunate amongst us pretty well, and if someone is ambitious there are few barriers to stop them achieving what they want.

No country is perfect but this country is pretty damn good in the scheme of things.

"This country is fucked/has gone to the dogs" is such a tired, blinkered, ill-informed phrase with little basis in fact. Usually spoute by the type of person who talks about "do-gooders" and "wooly liberals" and who hark back to a mythical time when things were better. If you don't like it, put your money where your mouth is and move abroad. You might just get a shock.

Didsbury Dave said:
Is there a more meaningless and ignorant phrase in use today? I hear it all the bloody time, from people who's opinions appear to be formed by the gobshite in the pub or the bigoted woman at the W.I.

This country is not fucked. It's one of the most desireable countries in the world to live in. It's a liberal, stable democracy where you, and I, are free to do pretty much as we want. That's why people from all around the world want to live here. We are a wealthy country with a rich heritage and a vibrant culture. We don't have a nanny state, we don't have significant corruption. WE look after the unfortunate amongst us pretty well, and if someone is ambitious there are few barriers to stop them achieving what they want.

No country is perfect but this country is pretty damn good in the scheme of things.

"This country is fucked/has gone to the dogs" is such a tired, blinkered, ill-informed phrase with little basis in fact. Usually spoute by the type of person who talks about "do-gooders" and "wooly liberals" and who hark back to a mythical time when things were better. If you don't like it, put your money where your mouth is and move abroad. You might just get a shock.[/quote]

I did, and you're right

Didsbury Dave said:

"This country is fucked/has gone to the dogs" is such a tired, blinkered, ill-informed phrase with little basis in fact. Usually spoute by the type of person who talks about "do-gooders" and "wooly liberals" and who hark back to a mythical time when things were better. If you don't like it, put your money where your mouth is and move abroad. You might just get a shock.

Support U****d?

Didsbury Dave said:

What a pile of apathetic nothing to see here nonsense and im probably of the wooly do-gooder label.

We are a democracy of sorts, yet one that allows people who shagged King Henry Vs wives mates great great grandkids to sit in the house of the Lords. We have a democracy so untransparent that a government is nearly always voted into power by a minority of the electorate.

Yes in real terms we are a wealthy country, but that wealth is divided so widely that only the USA has larger divide between the 1% and the rest.

Corruption is rife, just check out the masses of tax avoidance and banking fraud that this country suffers from.

A nation has no obligation to look after its citizens, that it does i believe is a widely held misconception. But what a decent nation should do is provide for the people a decent standard of living,an education,healthcare and a worhwhile safety net in times of hardship. The UK is begining more and more to follow the American GOP beliefs of people accepting sole responsibilty for themselves and if they fail, then tough luck, its all there fault. If you cant pay you get nothing. The welfare stte in the UK, the great bastion of Britishisness is being dismantled before our eyes and people believe everything is rosy.

Of course there are barriers to get to the top. 7% of people attend Public schools whose charitable status means they are subsided by everyone for the good of the rich. From that elite educational system comes the maority of Judges, cabinet ministers, PMs and FTSE100 comapny directors. This country stinks of elitism.

But hey, this countrys great, we could all live in the Sudan, Uganda or any other country raped by rampant British colonialism.

Rascal said:
Didsbury Dave said:

What a pile of apathetic nothing to see here nonsense and im probably of the wooly do-gooder label.

We are a democracy of sorts, yet one that allows people who shagged King Henry Vs wives mates great great grandkids to sit in the house of the Lords. We have a democracy so untransparent that a government is nearly always voted into power by a minority of the electorate.

Yes in real terms we are a wealthy country, but that wealth is divided so widely that only the USA has larger divide between the 1% and the rest.

Corruption is rife, just check out the masses of tax avoidance and banking fraud that this country suffers from.

A nation has no obligation to look after its citizens, that it does i believe is a widely held misconception. But what a decent nation should do is provide for the people a decent standard of living,an education,healthcare and a worhwhile safety net in times of hardship. The UK is begining more and more to follow the American GOP beliefs of people accepting sole responsibilty for themselves and if they fail, then tough luck, its all there fault. If you cant pay you get nothing. The welfare stte in the UK, the great bastion of Britishisness is being dismantled before our eyes and people believe everything is rosy.

Of course there are barriers to get to the top. 7% of people attend Public schools whose charitable status means they are subsided by everyone for the good of the rich. From that elite educational system comes the maority of Judges, cabinet ministers, PMs and FTSE100 comapny directors. This country stinks of elitism.

But hey, this countrys great, we could all live in the Sudan, Uganda or any other country raped by rampant British colonialism.
watermark.php

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.