North Stand Construction Discussion

Watched many of my first games in the Scoreboard End with my Dad in the sixties.

Lasting memory was the clanking noise of the manually operated scoreboard at half time showing the scores from other games.
I remember going to reserve matches at Maine Road back in the 60s... the tension was palpable when an old bloke used to clinb up his ladder to update the first team score every 15 minutes. Hundreds of kids used to celebrate wildly when the scoreboard was updated when City had scored.

That was the version of a 'goal alert' in those days. Up to 15 minutes after the event.

Last edited:
Woah this is incredible. Have you got the full plan?
Sadly no. I only ever did this as a calculation based on one end of the East Stand and the published plans for the South Stand extension - there is a clear dotted line on the plans (bisecting E18, S20, S19 & S18 radials) showing where the east stand could be extended to, to stay in alignment with what was done on the South stand third tier - after that it was a case of working out how many extra rows would fit in that additional space behind the existing third tier and how many extra seats would fit on each of those additional rows - so its based on all sorts of assumptions, of which any or all of them could be wrong. It was a reasonable stab based on some dimensions on south stand plans but no more than that. If I'd had more time & skill I might have tried generating a 3D model at the time to see how it would look. But I think that opportunity is passed me by now. Having said that...

There is something in the Design and Access statement, although it is in many parts, and just looks like a vague possibility like they are not ruling it out, rather than any suggestion it was ever likely.

I can see how the North Stand can easily be expanded by building behind the existing structure as with the South Stand.

I remain puzzled as to how the East or the West Stand can have an extra tier added without (partially?) closing the whole stand for an extended period. The spirals would have to be removed to facilitate this?

Can anyone explain how this could be done?

It wasn't for wind it was for natural sunlight which improves the quality of the playing surface.
Here’s an extract from the CoMS Design Study that explains the reason for the vents
Pitch ventilation
An inherent problem in designing large stadia is to create
a roof that not only shelters (with ‘drip-line’ cover to all
spectators) but also ventilates the pitch. Daylight, sunlight,
and air movement over the pitch are essential for healthy
grass growth but a wind-free and comfortable arena is
also needed.
The dramatic roof form and corresponding stand
configuration allowed movable louvre vents in the high-level
corner voids. These vents can be adjusted to increase or
decrease airflow through the Stadium, and thus benefit
not only air movement over the pitch but also the spectator
environment. Similar low-level vents are also incorporated in
the corner exit gates.
Under most circumstances these precautions would have
been adequate to ensure good grass growth, but Arup
wanted to ensure the very best pitch possible. A further
ventilation system was therefore added, this time beneath
the pitch as for golf courses. At close centres perforated
pipes were laid; these double for pitch drainage and through
them air can be either pumped or sucked. Humidity detectors
in the root zone of the turf show the groundsmen when the
pitch is too humid and needs drying out, or is too dry and
requires watering. Another benefit of the system is that
air can be pumped direct to the base of the turf, thereby
oxygenating the root zone and increasing turf growth.

I can see how the North Stand can easily be expanded by building behind the existing structure as with the South Stand.

I remain puzzled as to how the East or the West Stand can have an extra tier added without (partially?) closing the whole stand for an extended period. The spirals would have to be removed to facilitate this?

Nothing is impossible but to add a fourth tier is close to it, would need a brand new roof and closing the stadium for a considerable period

Adding a new 4th tier to the E & W stands has never been an option (I think), it's about adding a few rows to the back of the existing 3rd tiers which would only be possible when the roof is replaced. The existing roof would block sightlines, a new (higher at the back edge) roof would allow them to be fitted. It would also mean we'd have a roof that slopes down to the pitch rather than up to the sky. Presumably this would also help with acoustics, keeping more crowd noise in the stadium.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.