North Stand Construction Discussion

I’m actually very keen on using the buses, it’s just that they are not set up very well. My main point was guaranteed 45mins (car) vs maybe 90mins (bus) vs sardine can (tram) and that time makes a huge difference for night games when people have jobs. They used to have direct trams from Bury to Etihad - which we used to use - but they got ditched (except for the odd special they put on) so I’m guessing they’re going to stick with routing everyone through the gridlocked city centre for some bizarre reason.
That's daft they cancelled the tram from Bury. Was it not busy or something?

That's daft they cancelled the tram from Bury. Was it not busy or something?
They used to have trams going various places but a while back they decided trams would be on fixed routes so Bury got a choice of Piccadilly or Altrincham as destinations and anywhere else you wanted to go to you had to change. I rarely use it nowadays but I hear there’s the odd one that goes direct every so often.

For education purposes, I can tell you the areas you refer to are in relation to long term planning and where the sides will join up to when expanded a few years from now. There's nothing dreadful or lazy about it really, in fact, it's to help avoid design issues which have plagued stadiums such as Old Trafford where the corners don't link in properly with the sides. It might not look pristinely perfect right now, but the design will make the architects and builders jobs a lot easier several years from now and give us a much better final result. To be honest, they're doing a much better job of 'fudging' the corners than they did with the South Stand...

For 'education purposes' (was there a need for that?) I sincerely hope so.

I can put up with it if it's either going to be temporary or if it's going to be some how built into a more curved and seamless exterior corner section of the North stand?

Hopefully I will be alive to see that happen, but I'm pretty sure 62,000 is where will be at for the foreseeable future.

Buying Asda, the stadium wrap, etc, are either pie in the sky or are a long way off.

Last edited:
Jrb, in a few years time when you an me are walking round the stadium carrying a big bag of flags ready for yet another UCL semi final Vs madrid, you will be saying "you know what, its growing on me now this little extension" :-)

TBH Trev, I will hate it even more when I see it in the flesh. :-(

Apart from that and the side hotel extension, I'm very happy with the overall proposal, especially the North stand inside the Etihad. The covered fan zone, the claws, the viewing platform, etc are also good.

To improve atmosphere and the way the noise travels, as most requested on here, there has to be an enclosed feeling to it rather than the gaping-ness of the South end. The noise should reverberate well of that boxy feel of the interior and the exterior section will fit in well with the squared off hotel and other attachments

I honestly don't have a problem with the North stand expansion inside the Etihad. It looks great. It looks like a proper home end. It's pretty much what we all asked for bar one slight issue at the front of the stand. I won't go into that again as it's been done to death. Let's see what happens when 1894 and City Matters have a meeting with Danny Wilson and the other representatives from the club.

Looks like City new they would get the planning permission as there's a lot more work than just relocating the City Store going on, which was a separate planning application that was passed in June!

They used to have trams going various places but a while back they decided trams would be on fixed routes so Bury got a choice of Piccadilly or Altrincham as destinations and anywhere else you wanted to go to you had to change. I rarely use it nowadays but I hear there’s the odd one that goes direct every so often.
I see. Still find it barmy with the amount of investment they wouldn't have all lines heading for the etihad on matchdays.

Where will City Square, the bars and food outlets be relocated to this season & next whilst the building work takes place?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.