North Stand Expansion

So the multi million pound Metro and transportation system is now officially not fit for purpose.

The ‘Holt Town March’ is now the mass transit system to the multi billion pound entertainment district.

Only in England......the Sheikh must be Sheikhing in despair !!
So the new upgraded walk is from Holte Town metro ?

It would need electrification and re-building the viaduct into Piccadilly as well. It’s not the answer to the problem at the moment, when in reality most people can walk the distance to existing rail services in the city. That’s not to say it won’t ever happen, just not in the next decade or two I wouldn’t have thought.

Trains are best thought of as solutions for travellers from miles away. A stop built on the Phillips Park line would need to be on a service from say, Leeds to the airport, where it has the potential to be profitable in both directions, and they would be 2 or 3 an hour. Not really suitable for moving a large number of people in a short time, and of course the route to the airport from there doesn’t currently exist, which is why trains go around the west of the city.

Terminating at Piccadilly via a new viaduct is a possibility maybe but would take decades to pay for itself. They did consider this 20 years ago before building the Ordsall Chord but it was the direct route to the airport that made them go with what they did. Re-opening Park station could be a solution but it’s still a 3/4 mile walk versus 1.5 miles to Piccadilly, it’s not perfect, but it would be on existing routes (Southport to Stalybridge, Liverpool to Newcastle) but they’re only 1 or 2 per hour.

For football though we need more frequent services and if Metrolink can’t do that it needs to be buses. I think as the land between the city and the stadium gets developed with new housing and shops, it won’t be as bad a walk as it currently is. And the Sandhills tram stop will be closer than Victoria when it’s built (1.5 miles). Then of course the facilities at the ground will soon improve for those able to hang around after the game. City Square was a bit grim before but hopefully it’ll be something very different in just 2 years. If passengers can be spread out over a longer time we might just cope with what we have. More investment in the Ashton tram line to reduce overcrowding would still be welcome though.

TL:DR
There’s lots of things to consider before splashing out mega millions on new train stations. They’re still in the process of getting buses under control and simpler ticketing and then hopefully bringing trains within GM into it. Just be patient.
Yeah that's all quite reasonable to be fair, I just don't think piling trams and buses up on the same routes will do anything to help the massive queues in the wind and rain that put people off going(just had a thought, how much would a shelter cost and where would it go?). As for walking, I've done that myself when the weather was good(not to piccadilly, to a different bus route) but it's not for everyone. A proper well lit walking route back into Manchester that's illuminated and sign posted should have been done ages ago(not even that expensive) though.

It's not really my point of view I'm coming from, it's the amount of no-shows we get(the seats are sold but they don't show), that I think transport inconvenience is a big part of. Someone has said it before but people used to walk miles in shite weather to watch crap football and pack the place out, without even roofs on the stands to keep them dry. It's people's attitudes and lifestyles that have changed. Everything has to be super convenient and easy.

Last edited:
It's also that society is getting both older and more middle-class.

I used to think nothing, nothing at all, of walking five miles. Now my maximum range is about three if I have a rest in the middle, and that's me, knackered. I'm also chary of walking about urban Manchester in the dark and pissing rain, which would not have daunted me at all in my twenties.

A lot of folks don't even want to get on a bus. A tram or train is the minimum they want.

I never really thought about how they get those tower cranes erected, until the local water treatment company erected one a couple of miles from here, it was fascinating to see how they build them, in particular the concrete counterweights. Sorry if this sounds boring, but it is always interesting to see how things happen, now I am retired

I never really thought about how they get those tower cranes erected, until the local water treatment company erected one a couple of miles from here, it was fascinating to see how they build them, in particular the concrete counterweights. Sorry if this sounds boring, but it is always interesting to see how things happen, now I am retired

I always look forward to 2 starts on a construction site, piling and cranes going up.

The multi million pound Metro and transportation system… is probably over calling it… a system coupled together on the cheap that never was fit for purpose. Compare the cost per mile of the Manchester Metrolink with the Elizabeth Line in London. It’s like we live in different worlds… the north south divide is greater than most people realise.
No comparison the Lizzie line is mainly underground across London

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.