Norwich (a) post-match thread

If we are within 6 points of Liverpool when we play them in April, then it's game on. For now it's about keeping up with them. The level of luck and consistency they will need to pull away will be remarkable.

To manage a squad brilliantly doesn't mean to avoid any unexpected losses and to not make any mistakes. To manage a squad brilliantly is to win titles and set records. We had 3 unexpected losses last season. Or even 4. Didn't stop us from winning the title. You don't improve on 100 pts. A random fan like you to teach Pep how to manage the squad and to characterize his decision making as bizarre and nonsensical is bizarre and nonsensical.

Who said I am teaching Pep? He knows more about football than me and is far more successful than I have ever done anything in the game.

Doesn’t mean that he should not be pointed out for mistakes that people think he has done. He makes mistakes and I and others will point them out. Resting your best and influential player for a tough away game is a mistake and you don’t need a champions league winners medal to qualify that opinion.

Well, only being two points up on the rags should be an incentive going forward.

If we are within 6 points of Liverpool when we play them in April, then it's game on. For now it's about keeping up with them. The level of luck and consistency they will need to pull away will be remarkable.
they don't lose games and drop points in bunches, yes last year they got some incredibly improbable luck, but they are solid at the back and improving, so I agree the head to head games are gonna be big, obviously.

Who said I am teaching Pep? He knows more about football than me and is far more successful than I have ever done anything in the game.

Doesn’t mean that he should not be pointed out for mistakes that people think he has done. He makes mistakes and I and others will point them out. Resting your best and influential player for a tough away game is a mistake and you don’t need a champions league winners medal to qualify that opinion.

But, resting a player ahead of Wednesdays game, either KDB or Fern, is perfectly understandable for a manager who knows their fitness and who has an eye on the games ahead and what team he hopes to be fielding at Everton in a few weeks' time.

PL is 38 games. If we focus on 38 games we could blitz the league, but Pep, the players, the fans, management and the owners are focusing on 38 plus 8 plus 8 and so on - because that is what a season for city is like now. Norwich might just be focusing on 38 games, and giving their all for those matches, and fair play to them - if they give their all against Liverpool, and everyone else, then the season is wide open.

Without Sane, without Laporte, without Kompany and with KDB and Fern resting, we can expect losses, especially against teams who press and take advantage from set pieces.

I have, and probably will continue to, question some of Pep's decisions in who he fields - but at the end of the day he has his eyes set on targets, how to get there and the fitness of the players' who he intends to take us there. We question, oc we do, but ultimately few of us see the bigger picture because we're not at the training ground, we're not in the meetings when physios and fitness coaches are driving decisions.

If KDB needed to be rested, i'll take it on board that's why he didn't play. If he didn't need to be rested, then i am confident Pep would have played him.

they don't lose games and drop points in bunches, yes last year they got some incredibly improbable luck, but they are solid at the back and improving, so I agree the head to head games are gonna be big, obviously.

We just need to match them and get at least a point at Anfield. 97 points was a huge achievement, and if they get something similar this then it probably is their year. It's a long old season, though, and in any other year 90ish points would be enough to win it. We really don't know what it will be this year.

I would rather go with Garcia, Fernandinho or Walker as CB going forward, than having to see John Stones same old school boy defending again. When is he ever going to improve? He hasn't improved enough under Pep, to be honest and it's been three years. Just look at his positioning before Norwich second goal – what is he thinking going so high up on the pitch and then throwing his arms up crying for an offside call instead of positioning himself correctly behind their attacker and closing him down? He has no vision for the game, at all. I've been more than patient with Stones but it's clear he is lacking a lot in defensive capabilities and overall understanding of the game and it becomes very clear now that his much better defensive partner Laporte isn't there to rescue him.
I don't even want to get into Otamendi. He is even worse.

I honestly think Pep will buy a right-footed world class centre-back next summer to team up with Laporte. Stones will become a squad player because he is not at Laporte's level. Too many mistakes, too insecure, too passive and not strong enough. We need a big and strong, almost Rodri-like centre back.

Pep underestimating his opponent became clear once again. I don't understand why he keeps doing this. At least start with De Bruyne, kill the game off early and then substitute him early. But all credit to Norwich for a rock-solid defense.
Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I would rather go with Garcia, Fernandinho or Walker as CB going forward, than having to see John Stones same old school boy defending again. When is he ever going to improve? He hasn't improved enough under Pep, to be honest and it's been three years. Just look at his positioning before Norwich second goal – what is he thinking going so high up on the pitch and then throwing his arms up crying for an offside call instead of positioning himself correctly behind their attacker and closing him down? He has no vision for the game, at all. I've been more than patient with Stones but it's clear he is lacking a lot in defensive capabilities and overall understanding of the game and it becomes very clear now that his much better defensive partner Laporte isn't there to rescue him.

I honestly think Pep will buy a right-footed world class centre-back next summer to team up with Laporte. Stones will become a squad player because he is not at Laporte's level. Too many mistakes, too insecure, too passive and not strong enough. We need a big and strong, almost Rodri-like centre back.

Pep underestimating his opponent became clear once again. I don't understand why he keeps doing this. At least start with De Bruyne, kill the game off early and then substitute him early. But all credit to Norwich for a rock-solid defense.

What a lot of crap, so your fed up with Stones just like the gutter press,
Stones always comes back from injuries and makes mistakes in his first few games then he is one of our best players with excellent positioning, he is also one of the best passers at the back with his good vision, getting Laporte and Stones back playing regularly together is what we need, having a capable back up for both is what we wanted and what Maguire was capable of

Oh dear

What a lot of crap, so your fed up with Stones just like the gutter press,
Stones always comes back from injuries and makes mistakes in his first few games then he is one of our best players with excellent positioning, he is also one of the best passers at the back with his good vision, getting Laporte and Stones back playing regularly together is what we need, having a capable back up for both is what we wanted and what Maguire was capable of

Crap? Have you ever heard of "different opinions"? I don't care about the press, I've never been particularly confident about John Stones. He hasn't been consistent enough throughout these three years, that's a fact. Laporte is at a different level defensively, and we need another one just like him in order to win the Champions League.
Laporte is our best player defensively, don't mix them up. Passing is crucial for our defensive players and I agree on that, I didn't say anything about his passing either. But he.is.not.a.world.class.defender. End of. It doesn't matter if it hurts your ears or eyes, it's still the truth. But trust me, I would like to be proven wrong. I just haven't been so far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.