Not having children

Southbanken

Saw the other thread on Kids and it got me thinking.

Me and my girlfriend can't have children, we've known about this since we got together - 13 years ago.

We have kind off accepted it and have no plans to do anything about it. The gf has never wanted kids anyway. For all those going on about how important kids are, does that make our lives meaningless?

99% of the time it doesn't bother me at all. We work hard, earn decent money and a "good life", but every now and again I get a bit down about the kids thing and I worry that this will only get worse as I get older. Does anyone on here (who is a bit older) not have kids - how have you found it?

Would be interested in all your thoughts.

Cheers

I'm 31 and married , we have no desire to have kids, we like to do things we want, we like cleanliness and order, and silence. We have plenty of nephews and neices though to look after us when we are older.

cce02d4c7f18619f87960141fc3639f7.jpg

Ste, like I said, 99% of the time it doesn't bother me. Had a bit of a heavy weekend so feeling a bit emotional. My biggest worry is getting to an age where I can't have kids and suddenly getting the urge.

The thing is society expects you to want kids, and often at my age 34, it expects you to have kids. It really gets to me that I have to explain my and my girlfriends choice / situation and be judged by every **** and his dog telling me that I'll change my mind / regret it if I dont.

The adoption thing does make me think I'm being selfish, we could help a kid who really needs help - why am I too selfish to do it then?

It's a bit like Mayor West - we like our life the way it is, but I do worry that the grass is always greener ...

I just googled "child free" and there were some funny things like the image quiet riot posted, but the quote I liked best was "my entire goal in life is to show my friends with kids, how awesome life without kids really is"

Last edited:
I never wanted kids. I hated kids. I still hate kids. I now have one and couldn't imagine my life without him but I fully understand people who don't want any. You can go traveling, rather than sit in on a Saturday night watching cartoons you can go out with your mates and get shit faced, more money for City ex cetra.

50 years old, never had kids or wanted them, luckily the wife didn't want them either. Each to their own but never regretted my decision, at least not to this point

Thanks for all the replies - it has made me feel better about our decision / situation. It can be hard to find people in a similar situation to get reassurance from.

It really is a case of 'each to their own,' isn't it? It's baffling that people judge others on issues like this. Who are other people to tell you that you'll regret not having kids, or to expect you to have kids. Kids are great, but the vast majority of adults are absolute wankers who are a burden on the world, so you're doing everyone a favour really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.